Afritada is a spanish inspired dish which can be cooked with pork, beef or chicken slowly simmered in tomato sauce and potato. This recipe is so simple thats why it is a popular dish in Philippines. Saute, add all ingredients together and simmer.
800g chicken thighs
200g button mushrooms, halved
1 green bell pepper or capsicum (thats what we call it here in NZ)
6 cloves garlic
1 medium red onion
1 big can tomato puree
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 small potatoes quartered
1/2 cup water
4 pcs bay leaves
1. Deep fry potatoes separately until golden brown. I do this so that when we add it to the dish it wont sip the sauce, and potato would have a different flavor and texture.
2. On a separate pot saute garlic and onion in oil
3. Add chicken and brown it slightly
4. Add water, tomato puree and bay leaves
5. Boil and simmer for 15 minutes
6. Add fried potato, capsicum, mushroom and tomato paste and simmer for additional 5 minutes
7. Season with salt, sugar and pepper.