Picadillo came from the Spanish word “picar” which measns minced, the dish is of Spanish origin thats why it is a popular traditional dish in many Latin American countries as well as the Philippines, it is usually made with minced meat either pork or beef, tomatoes and other ingredients that is cut into small pieces, this ingredients vary from country to country like in Philippines we use corn, carrots, peas and potatoes but in Latin American countries they use potatoes, beans, raisins and capers. This dish is often served with rice or used as a filling in tacos (soft or hard shell)
600g minced beef
1 1/2 cup corn
1 cup green peas
1 large carrots, chopped into small cubes
1 large potato, chopped into small cues
1 large onion, chopped
6 clove garlic
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp dried sweet basil
freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1. In a pot, saute onion, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil.
2. Add minced beef and cook until it looses the pinkish color.
3. Add corn, tomato paste, and beef stock. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 4 minutes.
4. Add carrots, peas, potatoes and basil. Simmer for additional 3 mintues.
5. Season with salt and pepper.