Nasi Goreng Daging or Beef Fried Rice is one of my comfort food way back in Malaysia. There are a lot of variants of Nasi Goreng and this is one, other popular ones are Dried Fish (Ikan Bilis), Chicken (Ayam), Chinese (Cina) and Seafood. Not just popular in Malaysia and Singapore but this is also considered the national dish of Indonesia. Most of the restaurants in those countries you see this on their menu whether it’s a street hawker up to the upscale restaurants.
The base ingredients for the nasi goreng are pre-cooked rice, soy sauce, garlic, onions, spring onions and red chillies. Like any other Asian fried rice variants pre cooked rice is the most important ingredient as using a freshly cooked rice will make the rice stick together and you don’t want that to happen, the result should be that the rice fluffy and separated to each other. That is the reason why usually the rice used in restaurants and even households are leftovers rice.
So if you have some leftover rice and a few beef strips try this authentic popular South East Asian recipe.
4 cups cooked long grain rice, use leftovers
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp sambal oelek
2 tsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup peanut Oil
1 small red capsicum, finely sliced (usually red chillies are used, I just want it milder)
1 cup green peas
1 cup corn
2 cups beef tenderloin strips, marinated in salt and pepper
3 stalks spring onions, chopped
fried garlic and/or fried onions
fried eggs, sunny side up
1. Place the leftover rice in a refrigerator and keep it cold, once ready fluff it by separating it by hand or by fork. Set aside.
2. Using a wok add oil and put on high heat. Place beef and quickly stir fry, once brown in colour remove then set aside.
3. Using the same wok place garlic and onion, cook until onions become translucent then add sambal oelek, shrimp paste and cayenne pepper. Stir fry until fragrant.
4. Add the rice, fish sauce and soy sauce, mix well until the colour of the rice is even.
5. Add the beef, corn, peas and capsicum, mix well until evenly distributed.
6. Top with spring onions, fried garlic and serve with fried eggs on top.