Tapsilog in tagalog is a mixture of 3 different food items, Tap for Tapa which is a fried beef marinated in vinegar and garlic, Si for Sinigang which is a simple garlic fried rice and Log for Itlog which means egg. There are a lot of food items like this in the Philippines and here are some:
Daingsilog – Daing (sun dried salted fish), garlic fried rice and fried egg
Bangsilog – Bangus (instead of Beef use Milk Fish), garlic fried rice and fried egg
Hotsilog – hotdog, garlic fried rice and fried egg
Longsilog – longganisa, garlic fried rice and fried egg
Litsilog – lechon (charcoal roasted suckling pig), garlic fried rice and fried egg
Tosilog – tocino (sweet pork), garlic fried rice and fried egg
Pakaplog – Pan de sal (bread), kape (coffee) and fried egg
There are lots more but these are the common ones. These dishes are usually breakfast items but due to the popularity of restaurants such as Goodah!!! and copycats that offer this food it became an all day – all night breakfast. Typically consumed by youngsters at wee hours of the morning after a good night out as they believe it will sober them up and relieve the hangover for the next day. But regardless of your reason believe me or not it is a comfort food, I don’t know why but trust me once you’re hooked up you’ll always crave for it.
Ingredients (Garlic Fried Rice)
4 cups cold cooked rice preferably long grain
1 garlic minced
Method (Garlic Fried Rice)
- Heat up the pan and add oil, in a medium heat add garlic and fry it until its golden brown and crunchy
- Add rice and stir fry until the rice is coated with the garlic flavoured oil, this will take around 10 minutes
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
800g beef tenderloin (sliced thinly around 1/2 cm thick)
2 garlic, crushed include the skin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup vinegar
5 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
- Mix thoroughly all ingredients excluding beef in a bowl.
- Slice the beef into 2 x 3 inch pieces and soak with the mixture
- Marinate for at least a day.
- Remove beef from marinade and pat dry with paper towel
- Heat up the pan add oil and fry the beef pieces until outside is crunchy on both sides.
Prepare a sunny side up egg, atchara and plate the items together like in the picture attached, it is best served with a white vinegar with crushed garlic dip.