Pininyahang Manok (Tagalog), Gang Ped Gai Sapparot (Thai), or Chicken with Pineapple is a dish made out of chicken that is marinated in pineapple juice then cooked together with pineapple and other vegetables such as capsicums, carrots and onions. In Philippines there are 3 main variations of this dish and they vary on the sauce used, one is using chicken stock as a base, another variation is using coconut milk and the last one is using evaporated milk.
Regardless of the version this dish one of Philippines and Thailands wonderful casserole dishes (can be cooked also sans casserole) and it is best enjoyed with steaming hot rice. Try it now!
800g chicken thighs fillets
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large red capsicum, sliced
1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
1 large red onion, chopped
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
freshly ground black pepper
1. Marinate chicken pieces in pineapple juice, salt and black pepper for at least 12 hours.
2. Remove chicken from marinate then pat each chicken pieces dry. Reserve the marinade.
3. In a wok add oil and evenly brown chicken pieces, remove from wok then set aside
4. Sauté ginger and onions, then add the chicken pieces. Stir fry for a minute then pour in the chicken stock, coconut milk and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the cornstarch mixture, pineapples, capsicum and cilantro then simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.