Avocado Shake

Avocado Shake

Avocados for Southeast Asians are used to be eaten as dessert or something sweet that’s why the first time I saw avocadoes used in sandwiches and salads my first reaction would be something similar to those who are used to having avocadoes in savoury dishes reading this article. Avocado is a common fruit in the Philippines and you will always find a tree near to where you live even if you live in the city, like where I used to reside there was a huge avocado tree that is just 3 houses away from us and it was free for all we just ask our neighbour politely so we can climb and get it. So after harvesting my avocadoes I immediately go home and start mashing it up with powdered milk, sugar and crushed ice, it is a great summer dessert.

It’s not just the Filipinos who prepares avocadoes in this manner that’s why I mentioned above it is the Southeast Asians, like in Vietnam they have this avocado shake called sinh to bo (butter fruit shake), Philippines have the same shake we even have ice cream avocadoes, Indonesians have Es Alpukat which is same to the Vietnamese shake but with the addition of chocolate syrup. It is not also limited to south East Asia even Brazil have their own version which is called Vitamina de abacate.

3 medium sized avocadoes
24 ice cubes
1 cup condensed milk
1 1/2 cup full cream milk

1. Place all ingredients in a blender, blend until completely smooth.
  2. Place in glass, serve and consume immediately.

1. I absolutely love avo’s but have never thought of making an avo shake – very original way to serve it.
    :-) Mandy

2. great refreshing drink and healthy too.

3. Judy says:

You are right, I would never think to use avocados as dessert — love how versatile they are!

BTW– I nominated your blog at Saveur’s Best Food Blog Awards :D –certainly is one of my favorites! Hope they agree.

4. Babygirl says:

I just recently got into avocados and I love a good smoothies, so I will be trying this out today and I can’t wait.

5. Kiwidutch says:

I have tried a shake with a combo of fresh mango and avocado and it was AMAZING, but I’ve never thought to have just the avocado by itself at all.You are right, the thought would simply never cross my mind because I’m so used to avocado in salads etc.
    Then I look at the recipe.. *condensed* milk.. AND sugar ? whoa how sweet is this LOL
    That said I think I will give this a go!

6. Meri says:

Looks very rich but healthy! Yum!

7. Dawne says:

Ah I see, a cup of condensed milk – you never metioned that bit to me, now the whole idea seems a LOT more appealing! Will def give this recipe a go!

8. omnomally says:

The colour of that smoothie is amazing! I love using avocadoes in just about everything and now you’ve inspired me to drink it in smoothie form too :) looks delicious

9. mi. says:

Haha I know what you mean! I still look crazy trying to promote avocado milkshake/ice cream to my friends here n nz! This looks great

10. Rita says:

Avocados are fantastic! Unfotunately, here you can’t find goog ones… so we just have to content ourselves with what we find… :(
    Love this avocado shake! :)

11. Christin@purplebirdblog says:

I tried an avocado shake for the first time years ago at a friend’s parent’s Vietnamese restaurant… I loved it!! :)

12. Pepy@Indonesia Eats says:

This was one of my treats when I was a kid. My family used to add coffee or chocolate condensed milk or chocolate sprinkle (rice).

13. Maria says:

Omg! I grew up on this! My mother would mash up milk, sugar and milk and freeze it. My preferred version is blending avocado, coconut milk, stevia, guar & Xanthum gum and lots of ice for an avo soft serve dessert. Delish!

Love your site – brings me back to my Filipino roots!

14. we make it the same way a favourite

15. Louisa hull says:

I love this!

1. September 19, 2012

[...] is a weird idea but not for South East Asians where we enjoy this on our desserts from desserts, drinks and ice cream flavours. So if you want to entertain this idea try this recipe out and if you [...]