Leche Flan, caramel custard or crème caramel is one of the all-time favourite dessert in the Philippines, it is made of baked or steamed mixture eggs yolks, milk and sugar. It might look similar to crème brulee but there is a big difference and it is the top caramel layer where leche flan is soft as opposed to the hard crunchy top of the crème brulee.
This dessert used to be so popular in Europe but now it is ubiquitous in South American countries, Philippines, Japan and Vietnam. Each country even have developed their own varieties of this lovely dessert, while the ingredients remains the same, the amount of individual ingredients varies which defines how light or heavy the flan will be. Cooking method also varies per region some methods are baking and some do it by steaming.
A truly simple and delicious dessert, its creamy, its smooth, it sweet, it’s so delicious!
1 large can evaporated milk
1 large can condensed milk
10 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1. Using aluminium moulds, add sugar and water, bring it to a boil and cook until it caramelizes. Set the moulds aside and let the caramel cool.
2. In a mixing bowl add evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla then mix well.
3. Pour mixture over moulds until its 1.5 inch thick.
4. Cover the moulds with an aluminium foil then steam for 30-35 minutes.
5. Let it cool then refrigerate. Remove from moulds then serve cold.