Sopas is a Tagalog word for soup and usually it is made out of macaroni or shell pasta with bits of chicken, chicken liver or beef in a milk based broth. This soup is the Philippine version of the Western chicken soup and probably the most popular soup in the Philippines. A soup that primarily targets the kids palate that’s why it easily becomes a child’s their favourite, this is also the dish that is the first choice given to kids who are unwell, and this it is one of the many ways moms in Philippines let their child eat carrots.
2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
2 cups beef, diced
6 cups beef stock
1 large carrot, diced
1 large can evaporated milk
1 large white onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp rubbed thyme
1/2 tsp rubbed basil
1. In a pot sauté onion and garlic in butter.
2. Add beef and brown on all sides.
3. Add beef stock and bring to a boil then simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add macaroni, carrots, rubbed basil and rubbed thyme then simmer for additional 15 minutes.
5. Add evaporated milk, bring to a boil and turn off heat, don’t let the milk curdle.
6. Season with salt and pepper