Ika Geso Age in Japanese, Muc Chien in Vietnamese or Crispy Deep Fried Squid is a simple deep fried squid dish popular in East Asia and South East Asian cuisine, similar to calamares but this dish uses squid tentacles instead and served with a sweet and spicy sauce. Though there’s no rule in using only squid tentacles in this dish, it is just the most common part used in this dish as it is more flavourful than the squid tubes and it can be crispier.
500g squid tentacles, cut into rings
2 medium eggs, beaten
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
1.5 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
sweet chilli sauce
1. In a bowl combine together eggs, fish sauce and squid.
2. In a covered container combine flour, cornstarch and freshly ground pepper
3. Place the coated squid one by one on the bowl with the flour mixture, cover and shake until coated evenly
4. In a deep fryer heat oil in a very high temperature and deep fry the squid, fry only for a maximum of 2 minutes otherwise it will have a rubbery texture.
5. Remove from fryer, place on a paper lined bowl then serve with sweet chilling suace.