Moo Shu pork, mu shu or mu xu pork is a type of Chinese stir fried dish made out of chopped meat, scrambled eggs and Asian vegetables such as bamboo shoots and lily buds then wrapped in moo shu pancakes (similar to soft tacos). The name came from the Chinese word mù xi ròu where ròu means meat while mù xi is a small ornamental tree that produces fragrant yellow or white flowers that looks like scrambled eggs
Consuming this dish is also similar to roast duck with pancakes where the diner typically places a small amount of hoisin sauce into a small pancake, adds a spoonful of moo shu pork then is folded. It is served that way as the dish contains more liquid than typical wraps, and serving it the way how burritos are presented will make the wrap soaked. For this recipe it will be a bit different than the traditional ones as it will be hard to find fresh bamboo shoots and lily buds here in New Zealand (there are canned ones but they don’t taste and smell nice), so we will be using readily available vegetables like the one used in American Chinese version of moo shu pork such as carrots, shiitake and spring onions. And to make it easier I will use some tortilla wraps as well.
300g pork tenderloin, cut in matchstick pieces
4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, cut in matchstick pieces
2 cups bean sprouts
3 stalks spring onions, sliced
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
3 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
3 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
small tortilla wraps
- In a bowl mix together pork, 2 tsp cornstarch, half of the soy sauce and half of the cooking wine.
- In a separate bowl mix together the remaining soy sauce, remaining Chinese cooking wine, water, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil
- Using a wok add oil and gently cook eggs until set. remove from pan then set aside.
- Turn the heat to high then stir fry pork, ginger and garlic for 2 minutes or until pork is lightly browned.
- Add shiitake and carrots; continue to stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the bean sprouts, spring onions and sauce mixture, stir fry for 1 more minute.
- Break or chop scrambled eggs and toss it into the wok, give it a good mix then turn the heat off.
- Serve while hot together with tortilla wraps and hoisin sauce.