Moo Shu Pork

Moo Shu Pork

Moo Shu pork, mu shu or mu xu pork is a type of Chinese stir fried dish made out of chopped meat, scrambled eggs and Asian vegetables such as bamboo shoots and lily buds then wrapped in moo shu pancakes (similar to soft tacos). The name came from the Chinese word mù xi ròu where ròu means meat while mù xi is a small ornamental tree that produces fragrant yellow or white flowers that looks like scrambled eggs

Consuming this dish is also similar to roast duck with pancakes where the diner typically places a small amount of hoisin sauce into a small pancake, adds a spoonful of moo shu pork then is folded. It is served that way as the dish contains more liquid than typical wraps, and serving it the way how burritos are presented will make the wrap soaked. For this recipe it will be a bit different than the traditional ones as it will be hard to find fresh bamboo shoots and lily buds here in New Zealand (there are canned ones but they don’t taste and smell nice), so we will be using readily available vegetables like the one used in American Chinese version of moo shu pork such as carrots, shiitake and spring onions. And to make it easier I will use some tortilla wraps as well.

300g pork tenderloin, cut in matchstick pieces
3 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
hoisin sauce
small tortilla wraps
salt
oil

1. In a bowl mix together pork, 2 tsp cornstarch, half of the soy sauce and half of the cooking wine.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together the remaining soy sauce, remaining Chinese cooking wine, water, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil
  3. Using a wok add oil and gently cook eggs until set. remove from pan then set aside.
  4. Turn the heat to high then stir fry pork, ginger and garlic for 2 minutes or until pork is lightly browned.
  5. Add shiitake and carrots; continue to stir fry for 2 minutes.
  6. Then add the bean sprouts, spring onions and sauce mixture, stir fry for 1 more minute.
  7. Break or chop scrambled eggs and toss it into the wok, give it a good mix then turn the heat off.
  8. Serve while hot together with tortilla wraps and hoisin sauce.

No Responses

1. Moo Shu Pork sounds fabulous – a lovely comfort meal.
    :-) Mandy

2. Moo Shu Pork looks delicious it reminds me of a Mexican fajita but with a Chinese twist!

3. Lovely Raymund, of course for us without the pork, the tortilla looks so much like chappati, probably will be a good replacement.

4. MMMmmm. That sauce on top is the kicker for me.Yum.

5. wok with ray says:

This moo shu pork looks very scrumptious and succulent. Thank you for sharing, Raymund! :)

~ ray ~

6. Sissi says:

It looks fantastic! I love all the ingredients (including the tortilla wraps ;-) ), so I wish I hadn’t already started to prepare my dinner for tonight…
    I am relieved to learn I’m not the only one who thinks canned bamboo shoots have a strange smell… I think they need to be rinsed, but even rinsed they smell so strong…

7. Caroline says:

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!! Definitely right up my alley. So many awesome ingredients here.

8. kiwidutch says:

Sorry Raymund,
    When I see a pork dish with the word “moo” in it’s title, I just got the giggles.
    (… ok, now my very bad imitation to a southern cowboy ” that just don’t seem right, do it?”

9. kiwidutch says:

Actually, now that I’ve recovered myself somewhat, I’ve read the ingredients and if I could make this sans mushrooms (ugh allergy) then I think I’d really like to give this recipe a go.
    Might a little chopped red chili pepper work with this mix do you think?

10. Moo shu pork is my all time favorite and now my kids love it too. But I never even thought of making it at home!! What a great idea to use tortilla. I always have leftover tortilla but don’t want to eat Mexican food in a row… This is such a fantastic idea that I should bookmark and try – I might try this first then Mexican food the following day. LOL!

p.s. by the way I was checking your site from iPad earlier and it was really cool feature. I saw your main food photo then I had to swipe to get into main page (this one). I didn’t know that as I always use computer to visit you. I thought that was really cool feature!!

11. You truly are a recipe making machine…another oh so tasty looking dish.

12. I’ve had Moo Shu Pork in Chinese restaurants, but yours looks much more delicious! I never knew where the name came from- very interesting! :)

13. Reem says:

Lovely… This looks delicious. I have a special liking for wraps/rolls, these look wonderful..
    Thanks

14. Can you believe I’ve never had Moo Shu Pork. I don’t understand why I’ve never tried it because this looks delicious. Well now I will make my own with the help of your recipe

15. Tita Beng says:

Ahh.. just looking at a the photo makes me drool. Will definitely try to cook this with the fresh bamboo shoots as you mentioned. And because I don’t eat pork, will just substitute it with beef or chicken or better yet with peking duck. Mmm.. more yumm!…

16. Food Jaunts says:

I love moo shu (probably stemming from my love of hoisin). Looks delicious, thanks for the easy recipe.

17. I would love to sit and dive into this. It looks fabulous! I can’t believe how often you cook and post…this takes a lot of work.