Parmigiana is an Italian dish made with a shallow fried meat or aubergine, layered with seasoned tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese then baked. Originally it was made with aubergine then variations like chicken and veal have been popularized by Italian immigrants overseas. This dish is claimed to have originated in Campania and Sicily (Southern Provinces of Italy) which is a bit ironic as the term “parmigiana” means “from Parma” (Northern Province in Italy), that is why some said the name came from Parmigiano-Reggiano which is one of the main ingredients of this dish.
This dish can be consumed as mains, but in United States and Canada it is a popular sub filling, it is also served as a sides or a topping on pasta. A very flavourful dish which I can describe as a cross between a lasagne and a chicken schnitzel so pair it with something light and citrusy like vinaigrette based salad or minted peas.
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups bread crumbs
6 pcs thinly sliced chicken breast cutlets
1/2 cup white wine
12 large tomato, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
12 pcs basil leaves, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
canola oil, for shallow frying
1. Season chicken with freshly ground black pepper and salt, dip into beaten eggs then into bread crumbs.
2. Shallow fry breaded chicken until breading is crisp and golden brown. Note: you do not need to fully cook the chicken as this will make it dry. Set aside in a paper lined plate.
3. In a sauce pan sauté garlic and onions until onions turn translucent. Add tomatoes, oregano and white wine bring to a boil and simmer until tomatoes are soft.
4. Add basil and sugar, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Mix together parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
5. Place 1 layer of chicken in a baking dish, pour tomato sauce then place another layer of chicken then pour another layer of tomato sauce then finally top it with the cheese mixture.
6. Place in a 175C preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.