Coleslaw

Coleslaw

Coleslaw is a type of salad that is made out of shredded cabbage, carrots together with other fruit and vegetable ingredients. This dish originated from the Dutch “cabbage salad” called “koolsla”; it is where it got its name as well.

A very simple salad that works well with barbecue and fried chicken, it can even be an additional filling to your meat sandwiches like me when I eat at KFC I always order dinner rolls with my chicken and always fill it with chicken pieces and coleslaw. How about you, do you have any unusual ways of enjoying your coleslaw?

4 cups shredded cabbage, I used purple but green can be used as well
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 white onion, minced
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp yellow mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar or any sweetener of choice
salt

1. Soak cabbage in ice water for 30 minutes then fully drain it using a salad spinner.
  2. In a bowl mix together cabbage, carrots and spring onions.
  3. Mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, yellow mustard, sugar. Add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
  4. Mix together mayonnaise dressing and shredded vegetables then let it stand for at least 30 minutes in the fridge for it to develop its flavours.
  5. Serve cold.

No Responses

1. I love coleslaw but have never thought of using red cabbage before – great idea. I also occasionally add raisins too.
    Have a happy weekend. :-) Mandy

2. Nice change with the purple cabbage Raymund, I can just have this salad without anything else, great and healthy.

3. Sissi says:

I have never made coleslaw with red cabbage. Very appealing and original! I also have coleslaw with chicken (although home-roast) and in sandwiches, instead of butter or mayonnaise.

4. kiwidutch says:

Almost exact duplicate of my recipe Raymund, it’s tasty isn’t it?!
    I find that the finer you chop your cabbage, onion and carrots the better your coleslaw will taste, it becomes melt in your mouth rather than chunks of cabbage and can make a HUGE difference to someone liking coleslaw or not.
    Red cabbage coleslaw! new idea for me too, I’ll try it next time I make it…cool!

5. I love coleslaw, but there is always intense discussions in my house about making it. The wife loves it with mayo and I don’t. Such is life. :-) Have a great weekend!

never really learned to like coleslaw. :(

7. Beautiful coleslaw with red cabbage! Never even thought of using red cabbage and this is so nice!!! I love the uniqueness of this coleslaw – bet everyone would say “hmm???” Red cabbage?” Love the surprise. ;-)

8. I LOVE coleslaw.. I’ve always loved it. I can’t decide if I like the vinegar recipe or the mayo recipe.. but whatever recipe.. I just love it. I’m glad you posted this.. I LOVE it.

9. Betty says:

The red cabbage makes this so pretty! Sounds delicious too. I love cole slaw on hot dogs. :)

10. Meri says:

I love love love coleslaw, but my versions always have a vinaigrette because I hate mayo!

11. Your coleslaw looks fantastic! I love the use of red cabbage.

I love coleslaw with ribs. The vinegar in the dressing and the freshness of the cabbage cut through the richness of the ribs. Such a great salad.

13. Kim says:

This looks so interesting :D I would love to try that. I am moving soon, so I guess I have to keep your recipes in mind!