Bulanglang

Bulanglang and Pinakbet what is the difference between the two? Though the ingredients might be the same the way it is cooked and flavoured is different, as a start we can safely say that Bulanglang is the recipe of the Tagalog’s and Pinakbet is for the Ilocano’s. Another difference is the cooking method while Pinakbet is dry and stir fried, Bulanglang on the other hand is boiled and having said that traditionally the stock used for it is rice wash. Finally Pinakbet is flavoured with bagoong alamang (fermented shrimps) while Bulanglang is flavoured with bagoong monamon (fermented anchovies). But for me regardless of the differences I like them both, they suit well in different situations like Pinakbet is a great summer dish best paired with bagnet while Bulanglang is good for winter or cold rainy days with matching dried or smoked fish.

1/2 cup pork belly, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup shrimps, deveined
1/3 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 bundle string beans, sliced
2 pieces eggplant, sliced
10-15 pcs okra, sliced
4 cups rice wash
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped
4 pcs tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons bagoong alamang (fermented shrimp paste), if you cant find this use sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
oil

1. In a pot add oil and pork then cook until brown and crispy. Remove from pot then set aside.
  2. Add garlic and onion and sauté for a minute; add tomatoes and sauté until it becomes soft.
  3. Add okra and string beans, stir fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Add butternut squash and eggplants and stir fry for a minute.
  5. Pour in rice wash then add the shrimps and bagoong, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
  6. Season with freshly ground black pepper then serve.

No Responses

1. Sissi says:

It looks delicious and perfect for colder days indeed.

2. For me, it looks like a wonderful curry, we will enjoy this but with some spices in.

3. ceciliag says:

gorgeous as usual..I am going to have to go onto the internet and find some of these ingredients tho.. c

4. Judy says:

I like the textures in this dish and how you captured and accented those textures in the photo — looks fantastic.

5. I can’t tell you how excited I am to see another okra recipe. Hooray!

fermented anchovies?? is there such a thing? i didn’t know that before. thanks for sharing..

7. nors says:

oo nga bro, masarap yan lalo na sa pritong isda,,,

8. Bulanglang is another new and interesting dish I’ve never heard of. But it definitely looks wonderful

Yum! I’ve actually never had this, my family always made pinkabet. I’ll definitely have to give this a shot though, I didn’t realize how similar they were.

10. Love the colors in this dish- it looks so yummy and packed full of goodness!

11. Henry says:

Its like “kakaiba” because I haven’t heard of it. I’ll share the recipe to my mom and ask her if she can make it.

12. This looks delicious and I’ll be saving it for the colder months. Thanks for sharing!

13. Guia Obsum says:

Looks delicious! This is a nice alternative coz we’ve always only tried pinakbet. :)

14. Rob says:

I’m late with this reply, but here it is anyway…

Your definition of Ilocano pinakbet is wrong. My father’s family is from Vigan and in authentic pinakbet, the bagoong is monamon (Ilocano: bugguong munamon), NOT alamang (Ilocano: aramang). Also, it is not technically boiled but steamed with a little liquid in the bottom of the palayok. Unlike Bulanglang, authentic Ilocos-style Pinakbet does not contain kalabasa. Bulanglang is also what Manila restaurants try to pass off as Pinakbet.

Additionally, the Pinakbet from Ilocos Norte is drier than the Ilocos Sur version.

15. cravinhaven says:

I am starting to miss Tatang’s bulanglang. Looks good.

1. September 13, 2012

[…] I had already posted several regional specialities like Pancit Cabagan, Pancit Batil Patong, Kansi, Bulanglang and Dinengdeng to name some. We will not stop with those that is why I am sharing you this Cebu […]