Pulled Pork

Pulled pork is dish where pork is cooked in low heat in long periods making the pork meat “pulled” apart or easily broken down into smaller pieces due to its tenderness. Traditionally it is slow cooked by smoking the meat but newer versions use oven and slow cooker method to make it more convenient preparing the said dish.

Pulled Pork

Serves: 6-8
  • 800 g pork shoulder, cubed (get the fatty one)
  • 1 can root beer
  • ½ to 1 cup smoked barbecue sauce (adjust to suit your taste)
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • oil
  • bread of your choice
  1. In a pot heat oil and sauté garlic and onions.
  2. Add pork and brown on all sides.
  3. Remove everything from the pot and transfer it in a slow cooker, pour root beer and barbecue sauce then cook for 6 hours.
  4. Remove from slow cooker and place on a pot, then cook until liquid is in a very thick consistency or nearly dried.   Use fork to loosen meat into threads.
  5. Serve with your favourite bread.

Pulled pork can be served in numerous ways and the most popular one is a sandwich filling, other ways can be topped over rice or served on its own. This recipe will be really easy but you have to be patient as the best way to prepare it conveniently id the slow cooker method, so best to do it early in the morning (make sure someone is at home looking after it) so when you come home it’s all ready for you and your favourite bread.

1. Root beer inside this dish Raymund, very creative I must say. With the sandwich is a good change then rice of course.

2. ceciliag says:

This is a dish that the people in this house will love.. I will order a tenderloin and be back for instructions! thank you.. c

3. Your pulled pork looks fantastic. I am not sure we even get root beer anymore – I will have to look out for it.
    Have a happy day. :-) Mandy

4. Ah, this is practically a religion here in the south. Nice looking sandwich.

5. Few things are better than a pulled pork sandwich. Nice job!

I love pulled pork and the use of root beer in your sauce. I bet it tasted amazing

7. Your pulled pork is so juicy and moist!!! I’d love to have this as lunch or even dinner…. so delicious! I made pulled pork with beer before, but didn’t realize we can use root beer too!

8. Meri says:

This is my boyfriends favorite type of sandwich- I’ll have to pass this on to him!

9. Oh I love pulled pork sandwiches and I haven’t had one in such a long time. You did a wonderful job on this recipe.. I love this

with root beer? my my!! I thought only 7-up or sprite can be used as ingredients..

11. nors says:

Sarap siguro nito palaman sa siopao? okaya sa pandesal…penge!!!

12. peachkins says:

I love pulled pork adobo…yung leftover from yesterday’s ulam and then palaman sa pandesal..LOL! This sounds more “sosyal”….=)

13. Sissi says:

I have never had a pulled pork sandwich, I think I have to repair this mistake!

It’s that time of year again…time to bust out my slow cooker. This looks like the perfect recipe to start off the season!

15. Guia Obsum says:

Ahh, totally scrumptious. You never fail to make my mouth water. :)

I love the idea of adding the root beer ! Am thinking this will be on the menu in this house shortly… :)

1. September 3, 2012

[...] opt in for a simpler version which is called Asado Siopao. The filling is nearly similar to the pulled pork but the sauce is Asian inspired. A bit time consuming to make but it is definitely worth the effort [...]

2. August 15, 2014

[…] in in oil or lard but instead of using that method in this recipe we will be braising the pork the pulled pork way where it is slow cooked in fruit juice. If you notice before I cooked some pulled […]