Rogan Josh

Rogan Josh

Rogan Josh is a type of lamb curry which is slowly cooked with an array of spices, the most important spice to be included is the “Kashmir peppers” as it gives that distinct red colour to this dish while keeping it milder compared to other Indian curries. Rogan Josh came from the word Rogan which means “colour” and josh which means “hot or passionate”. This dish originated from Persia and was popularized by the Mughals in India, during the early days Peria was a popular destination due to the hot climate in Indian plains, the Mughals frequently visit Kashmir and brought over this dish.

Due to the popularity of this dish and the rarity of Kashmiri chillies other version uses saffron, tomatoes, other types of chillies and paprika to achieve the Rogan josh red colour. One of the many different curries the Indian cusine have to offer, a type of curry which is very aromatic, contains a lot of spices but not really hot compared to others.   As usual like your other curries it is good paired with basmati rice or a freshly cooked naan. How about you do you know any other curry dishes you want to share?

800g lean stewing lamb, cubed
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup cream
salt
oil

1. In a pot heat oil then brown lamb on all sides, once browned remove lamb then set aside.
  2. Add onions, garlic and ginger then cook until onions are soft and turn a bit brown.
  3. Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, peppercorns cook while continuously stirring until fragrant.
  4. Add coriander, cumin, cloves, cayenne, paprika and garam masala and cook for 30 seconds.
  5. Place the lamb back together with the beef stock, bring to a boil then simmer for an 1.5 hours in medium heat, add water if needed. Liquid at this stage should be reduced and thicker in consistency.
  6. Stir in cream, season with salt and cook for 5 more minutes.

No Responses

1. nors says:

ang sarap naman nyan curry mo…terno ng naan..patikim brother?

2. myFudo says:

Looks delicious!! craving for some rogan josh right about now, love the post and the picture is so mouth watering :)
    Feel free to visit my site for a free designer’s lunch bag this week.

3. I absolutely love this recipe!
    Have a happy day.
    :-) Mandy

4. This is so lovely, something like the lamb curry I make although a bit different in terms of the ingredients, the lamb look so tender and cooked to perfection.

5. Rogan josh is awesome, I have it sometime back in a restaurant in Sweden, it wasn’t so good unfortunately

6. This looks fantastic and I have some lamb in the freezer!

7. Judy says:

I love lamb! The spices are a combination I’ve never tried, sounds like an adventure.

I love the history of this dish – it makes it all the more appetizing. We haven’t made lamb in a while. We might have to revisit that. By the way, I’m totally loving your site! It’s going to be a great resource as we do our cooking around the world adventures. :)

9. Karen says:

Your lamb dish sounds so good and I have all of the spices. Just need tp buy some nice lamb.

10. Curry, lamb, slow cooked…sounds perfect to me

11. Again, I’m introduced to something unique and new. And the lamb looks incredible. Loved my history lesson today :)

Yum! I love rogan josh. I always fail at Indian meals though so I’m a bit afraid of them at this point.

I like your spice mix and the fact that your recipe doesn’t have ghee in it.

13. ceciliag says:

Did i tell you i will have lamb in the freezer soon.. then i will be back! YUM! c

14. I love Rogan Josh! I have to try your recipe!

15. Sissi says:

I have never heard of Rogan Josh. Judging from your photo and recipe it must be a pure delight.

16. I’ve never heard of this dish and don’t eat lamb most of the time, but… this must be good with rice!!

what is that leaves on top of the food?? it’s nice that you get to beautify the foods well.. i wonder if i can use just about any leaves found around our house too.. :)