Rogan Josh is a type of lamb curry which is slowly cooked with an array of spices, the most important spice to be included is the “Kashmir peppers” as it gives that distinct red colour to this dish while keeping it milder compared to other Indian curries. Rogan Josh came from the word Rogan which means “colour” and josh which means “hot or passionate”. This dish originated from Persia and was popularized by the Mughals in India, during the early days Peria was a popular destination due to the hot climate in Indian plains, the Mughals frequently visit Kashmir and brought over this dish.
Due to the popularity of this dish and the rarity of Kashmiri chillies other version uses saffron, tomatoes, other types of chillies and paprika to achieve the Rogan josh red colour. One of the many different curries the Indian cusine have to offer, a type of curry which is very aromatic, contains a lot of spices but not really hot compared to others. As usual like your other curries it is good paired with basmati rice or a freshly cooked naan. How about you do you know any other curry dishes you want to share?
800g lean stewing lamb, cubed
3 cups beef stock
2 small red onion, sliced thinly
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger paste
3 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
8 pcs cardamom pods, crushed
8 pcs peppercorns
2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup cream
1. In a pot heat oil then brown lamb on all sides, once browned remove lamb then set aside.
2. Add onions, garlic and ginger then cook until onions are soft and turn a bit brown.
3. Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, peppercorns cook while continuously stirring until fragrant.
4. Add coriander, cumin, cloves, cayenne, paprika and garam masala and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Place the lamb back together with the beef stock, bring to a boil then simmer for an 1.5 hours in medium heat, add water if needed. Liquid at this stage should be reduced and thicker in consistency.
6. Stir in cream, season with salt and cook for 5 more minutes.