Rellenong Alimasag (Stuffed Crabs)

Rellenong Alimasag (Stuffed Crabs)

Rellenong Alimasag or Stuffed Crabs is a Filipino dish that is made out of crab meat and vegetables stuffed in crab casing. The word relleno is a cooking method that the Filipinos had inherited from the Spanish, and it is a way of stuffing different meats and vegetables into food items like chicken, squid, crab or even fish. This cooking method is also popular during festive events as preparation can be so intricate and ingredients can be sometimes lavish.

For today’s post it will be nothing as complex like stuffed fish or chicken but it will be a simple stuffed crab. Its stuffing is way much different from the others as it will not be placed in a fully enclosed cavity but rather than a shallow pocket of the crabs shell so eggs are used to keep everything together intact. A really fancy looking dish that does not take much time preparing especially if you used the supermarket brought crab meat then you don’t have to do the dirty work, just cook it and enjoy.

6 pcs crab shells
250g crab meat
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/2 carrot, finely chopped
1 medium potato, boiled and mashed
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
salt
freshly ground black pepper
oil

1. In a pan add a small amount of oil then sauté garlic and shallots.
  2. Add carrots and stir fry for a minute. Remove everything from the pan then set aside.
  3. In a bowl mix together crab meat, potatoes, tomatoes, sautéed carrots, parsley and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Stuff the crab shells with the crab meat mixture, and then set aside.
  5. In a wok add oil; bring heat to medium high then deep fry stuffed crabs for 2-3 minutes.

No Responses

1. Crab is definitely one of my favourites and this looks incredible!
    Have a great week.
    :-) Mandy

2. Henry says:

Everything is possible talaga, hndi pa ko nakakain ng relleno alimasag.

3. Simply looks delicious Raymund, crabs are also our fav although we try to have it only once every few months, it can be quite pricey for us.

4. Love crab! The presentation of your dish is very fancy and I can only imagine how delicious it would be!

5. crustabakes says:

i have seen ready made crab meat in supermarkets before, but i dont think i have seen empty shell crabs being sold ard here. but what a great idea to stuff crab meat back into crab shells tho! Pretty!

6. This really looks delicious!!!!!
    Beautiful dish.

7. These look fabulous, and not terribly hard to make–a perfect combination!! I will definitely keep this recipe handy. Thanks for yet another great idea for a way to fix crab, one of my big favorites.

Oh those look amazing. I actually don’t like crab that much (I’m weird I know) but my family would go crazy for them.

I’ll have to make a few the next time I invite them over for dinner and really wow them :)

9. Meri says:

I’m an ignorant vegetarian… do you eat the shell too?

10. These definitely remind me of crab cakes that we usually make. I really like this recipe. I will have to save this one

11. Jay says:

wow..you are excellent in preparing lipsmacking dishes…:P)
    Tasty Appetite

12. Exquisite recipe! Definitely will give it a try. Nice photo.

13. I only wish that I wasn’t allergic to crab, and I love crab you know!! This looks so delicious. All the crab flavors are trapped inside. Drool…..I wish I can eat it.

14. wok with ray says:

One of my favorite relleno dish. Well, who doesn’t? Very nicely presented and photographed, Raymund! :)

15. Betty says:

I love crabs! My grandpa was a waterman so we had them often. Stuffed crab shells- we called them deviled crabs- were always a favorite. :) Yours look very tasty! ;)

This looks fabulous! I love crab and what a fun and interesting way to prepare it. I like that you serve it in the shells too. :)

we got poisoned with this once.. something about crab not properly cooked or the crab shells from carbon market is old.. i’ve avoided this ever since.

18. Inhinyera says:

i tried it last weekend and we loved it!

19. maricar says:

hahahah… yan yung ipePRESENT ko sa PRACTiCAL TEST ko… HOPE its be good & delicious… :)

20. Judy says:

These look terrific. Try the leftovers for breakfast with a poached egg, the soft yolk makes a fabulous sauce all on its own.

1. August 27, 2012

[…] while in Philippines we have lots of stuffed recipes like Rellenong Pusit (Stuffed Squid), Rellenong Alimasag (Stuffed Crabs), Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milk Fish) and Rellenong Manok (Stuffed Chicken) we […]

2. April 23, 2013

[…] they are expensive. We cook them in different ways like with vegetables and coconut cream or like relleno but sometimes we just boil them and eat them bear hands with rice, the fatty ones are even better […]

3. July 1, 2013

[…] It would also look something familiar for the Filipinos as we have a nearly similar dish called Rellenong Alimasag the difference is the ingredients used because the Filipino version uses crab and potato while the […]