Kansi

Kansi

I thought I am finished posting Filipino sour soup dishes until I remember this recipe which was served by one of my Favourite restaurants back in the Philippines called Ilongo Grill. they are famous for Ilonggo recipes which is a cuisine of Iloilo. Kansi is like a cross between Sinigang and Bulalo where Beef shanks are flavoured with a sour fruit called batawan and lemon grass, vegetables used are different as well as it uses jackfruit instead of the normal sinigang veggies.

So for sinigang lovers out there or any sour soup fanatics try this dish out, it will definitely satisfy your taste buds, the tangy and fresh flavours of this soup will keep you coming back for more.

3 pcs beef shank cuts (around 1.2 to 1.5kg)
2 cups sliced young jackfruit
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 stalks lemongrass
2 onions, quartered
1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
4-6 pcs green finger chillies
1 tbsp annatto powder
7 pcs batwan fruit or 1 large packet sinigang mix
salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. In a pot add beef shanks, ginger, tomatoes and onion; pour enough water to cover everything. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 90 minutes or until meat is tender, remove any scum that rises.
  2. Add the souring agent (sinigang or batawan), sliced jackfruit, chillies, lemongrass and annatto powder simmer for 20 minutes or unitl jackfruit is tender.
  3. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

No Responses

1. Jackfruits inside? Wow that’s very interesting!! I think I only know maybe less than half % …no maybe only like 20% of Filipino dishes (or do you think 5%?). Every time when you share Filipino dishes I am surprised I’ve never heard of it. So many dishes to look forward to and enjoy!

2. I agree with Nami. I don’t think I have been to a Filipino restaurant

3. Nice with chilly padi and nangka (jackfruit) with the thick gravy. Seems like similar ingredients are popular across the Asian countries.

4. Look at those gelatinous bits! Yummy, and the sour flavour of the soup sounds great actually! I always add lots of lime juice to my Asian soups because I like sour.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had a sour soup before. It sounds like something I might enjoy though – certainly worth the try. :)

6. I love sour soups, but don’t have them very often. This looks amazing.

7. Don’t think I have ever had jack fruit in a soup before – very interesting recipe.
    Have a great week. :-) Mandy

its interesting that so many filipino / asian products are within your reach in new zealand.. my sister has to travel far in belgium just to get to an asian store and still supply is not that complete.

9. kiwidutch says:

sinigang mix? yet another item for my culinary enlightenment list LOL.
    Note for “Love 2 type” … here in The Hague there is a massive Asian supermarket, I thought there must surely be something similar in Belgium so Googled ‘Asian supermarket Antwerp” and got this for starters… hopefully it might help your sister? http://www.videsh.com/india_travel/indian-supermarkets/belguim/antwerp.html
    Who knows, maybe she can find one somewhere that has a website and does mail order???

10. kiwidutch says:

opps, I forgot the link to one of the other places I found: http://www.kamyuen.be/

I’m sure that with a little extra searching there should also be more… have fun looking and cooking!

I’m loving all of the jackfruit recipes I’ve been seeing lately. I love sour dishes and luckily have easy access to sinigang mix. Looks delicious!

I looove sour dishes and I need to go and investigate where I can find batawan. Never seen it in my supermarket but you’d think Singapore would have it, right?

13. Henry says:

Never heard of Kansi but I think I can take two plate of rice with this Ulam.

14. good idea for my assignment…. a new version of bulalo…. an aspiring filipino dish…

1. September 13, 2012

[...] so far I had already posted several regional specialities like Pancit Cabagan, Pancit Batil Patong, Kansi, Bulanglang and Dinengdeng to name some. We will not stop with those that is why I am sharing you [...]