Taho

Taho

Taho is one of the most popular Philippine street foods, it is made out of fresh silken tofu, thick sugar syrup and sago pearls. Enjoyed as a tea time snack or a breakfast food item, this sweet tofu has a texture of very fine custard that everybody would easily love. Not sure though whether I classify this as a drink or food as it is solid yet soft but consumed as like a drink.

Many Filipinos living outside the Philippines would definitely miss this one especially when they have not tried it for a long time as this was a part of everyone’s life since childhood. I still remember every weekend we eagerly await those Taho vendors on the street shouting “Tahoooooooooooooo” to attract customers attention while we stay in front of our gates holding our own cups (the bigger the better) where Taho will be served and priced according to how big your mug or cup is. Once they are ready to serve you they then open their big aluminium tubs and skim off any water that rises on top and try to slice and scoop the very delicate tofu using a spatula like spoon to your mug. They will then open the other aluminum tub which contains the sago pearls and arnibal (the sugar syrup) and using a long syrup ladle they start scooping out that sweet syrup to your mug, I remember this is also the time to ask the vendor to put in some extra syrup and sago. I guess this routine will be common to most of the Filipinos.

Now for those who are craving for this one and you’re not in thhe Philippines, crave no more as you can do it at home all you have to do is look for an Asian store and look for a top grade tofu jelly, it is the same tofu used in Taho. And for those who are curious you should try this out you might like it.

Top grade tofu jelly
brown sugar
sago pearls
water

1. Cook tapioca pearls according to packet instructions but add sugar on it, the amount of sugar will be similar to the amount of sago pearls (1 part sugar to 1 part sago pearls)
  2. Once cooked set it aside and let it cool.
  3. In a saucepan add water and brown sugar this time the ratio should be 1 part water to 3 parts brown sugar. Place in low heat until sugar dissolves then bring heat to medium and let it boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Place tofu in heat proof mugs the place it on a steamer, cover mug with cling wrap or small saucer to prevent water from coming in then steam for 15 minutes, you can also use microwave for 90 seconds each full mug but steaming yields better result.
  5. Remove mugs from steamer then top it with sugar syrup and sago pearls. Serve it while hot.

1. nors says:

Bro…. Miss ko na yan.. Isang baso nga dito limampiso lang po ha

2. love ko rin taho.. chilled! <3

i love taho and wow, you are making your own taho??? ever tried strawberry tahoo?? i tasted it in baguio. love it..

I’m not sure if I’d enjoy this or not, but I would try it. My daughter on the other hand, she’d drink this up in no time! :)

5. I’ve learning a lot about Filipino dish this year thanks to your frequent posts, and I now long for visiting the Philippines one day and try out the street foods. I think I’ll appreciate even more after getting all the pre knowledge from you! Lots of delicious food that I had never heard of before.

6. These are becoming more and more popular in the states. This looks wonderful to me.

7. Very simple and nice, that pic is simply great and sure your pics are getting better too Raymund.

8. I haven’t seen this before, but since it combines the effects of three of my favorite dessert treats (custard, tapioca and brown sugar syrup), I can only assume I’ll love it! Needless to say, this one I will definitely have to introduce in our household! Thanks as always for the story along with the recipe, Raymund–this is exactly the delightful art of your blog that keeps me coming back every time.

9. Henry says:

I always like Taho, hindi na nga lang ako nakakabili ngaun kahit madami Taho vendor dumadaan dito, ang liit kasi ng cup nila unlike Taho on the picture ang sarap tingnan.

10. Wow I learn something new and delicious everytime I visit your blog…
    The dish looks delicious and the pictures looks wonderful as well.

11. I’ve never heard of this until. Always a good thing to know I have learned something new about food.

12. peachkins says:

you made your own taho! WOW!I love taho pero I just buy from the magtataho…

13. meri says:

I thought it was just a regular cocktail at first! I’m not sure I could handle the texture, but it sure is pretty!

14. Betty says:

This sounds intriguing…I love learning about foods I’m unfamiliar with. It sounds delicious! :)

15. thammelissa says:

BEAUTIFUL!! It looks similar to Chinese ‘Tau Fu Fah’

16. I never thought about combining tofu with sugar.. very nice idea. I always learn something here.

17. Guia Obsum says:

You’re making me crave for taho!! Look at that sweet syrup!! I want some now! @_@

Taho was the one thing I could never get behind. My cousins would always go running whenever the taho man came around and were so excited but I think maybe because it was warm was why I never liked it.

On a better note – I don’t remember ever seeing a taho that looks as good as what yours does in the picture!

PS – Do you happen to know what that bright pink snack/drink is called that I think was made with powdered sugar? It was pink and white

YUM that’s one of my favourite asian desserts (well the Malaysian version is silken tofu with gular melaka or palm sugar syrup).

20. spongyroj30 says:

Hi there! I’ve featured your pic in one of my blog post, and of course with a link http://wp.me/p25F95-e6 back to your site. Feel free to visit it. Thanks!

21. jken013 says:

Wow, I sure miss this! But I liked the cold taho sold in my university’s vegan cafeteria more. The tofu was somehow sweeter, but it lacked the tapioca pearls.

22. Patrick says:

I am currently in the Philippines. I am not Filipino, but I wait for the morning vendor of Taho, to come by our house, as well. It’s too sweet for everyday, but maybe every 3 days or so, I get it. Thanks for the recipe. When I go home to the US, I can still enjoy.

1. September 24, 2013