Spicy Steamed Tripe

Spicy Steamed Tripe

There are a lot of Chinese dishes that I love and most of them I know the recipe by heart but there are some that I don’t and usually these are the ones that I don’t know the name that’s why it is a bit hard to make it at home as you don’t know what to search for online. This dish is one example, that’s why this recipe is more of a guess work but I think I made a good guess as the end result taste nearly similar to the ones on the Chinese dim sum carts apart from making it spicier than normal, so here is my version of a Yam Cha favourite.

Does anyone know the name of this dish? or does someone know the authentic recipe for this? If someone knows please post it in the comments. I guess you would know what I am referring to from the photo above.

500g beef tripe, sliced, cleaned and pre boiled
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp black bean sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
sesame oil
peanut oil
2 cups water

1. In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and ginger.
  2. Add tripe then stir fry for 2 minutes.
  3. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, black bean sauce, Chinese cooking wine, five spice powder, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper and sesame oil. Continue to stir fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Add water bring it to a boil and simmer in medium heat for 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickens.
  5. Remove from wok then place it on a bamboo steamer, steam for 30 more minutes then serve.

1. nors says:

Omasum ba tan bro??? Sarap nyan

2. Ahhhhhh! My fav one during dim sum and looks so good the one you made.

3. That seasoning sounds wonderful.

4. Happy new year Raymund to you and your family, I hope it brings lots of happiness, good health and prosperity. And good eating too.
    Its been many years since I had tripe, its not readily available in supermarkets here unfortunately. I need to find

5. I’ve always been afraid to try tripe, but this looks like a good introductory recipe. It sounds pretty labor intensive, though, so I may have to find a good dim sum place to test it first!!!

This sounds delicious and totally up my alley. I love oyster sauce. Wish I knew the name for you. :)

• Nean says:

Name of dish is “Ngau tou”. My 4 yr old had a whole serve to herself today – we had to order one for ourselves.

7. Happy New Year, and if you haven’t seen it yet, I wanted to acknowledge your great contribution to my enjoyment of blogging this year both here and ‘at my place':

Consider it a no-strings-attached blog award of my own to you!

Kathryn

8. Dear Raymund,

This is a beautiful recipe and definitely one of my faves at yum cha. I think it’s great that you have pre-boiled the tripe to get rid of any impurities and the smell.

9. i love Chinese food too but unfortunately, i don’t know the name as well :'(

lovely recipe! bookmarked!

10. thegourmetcoffeeguy says:

Very interesting recipe, never tried tripe before but know people who like it. and may give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

11. I will admit, I’ve never heard of tripe before, but I will say I love learning about new thins here on this blog :).

sorry.. i don’t know this dish.. my knowledge for food/ cooking is limited.. but you really have passion with cooking when you try to cook even a bit “blind”.

Yum it looks delicious and I love that you made it spicy! I don’t think I’ve ever been offered this during a dim sum breakfast but I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled, I’d love a chance to try this.

Tripe is so dividing – you either love it or hate it. I am of the former and this is one of my favourites at yum cha back in Sydney but it’s really hard to get here in Singapore.

15. offallygood says:

Do you know any kidney or liver dim sum recipes? I’m going to try your one here!

16. Nean says:

This is a bit late, but it’s referred to just as “ngau jaap” (“now jarp” in phonetic terms). Would love it if we could get pre boiled tripe here, where I live