When I first saw this dish in Malaysia I think it’s kind of weird as I haven’t seen oatmeal mixed in a savoury stir fried dish, but given it’s a seafood dish I should definitely have no hesitation as I am a sucker for seafood. Butter oat prawns is a dish made out of deep fried prawns mixed with a stir fried crispy oat and sometime cornflake mixture, the taste is a wonderful combination of sweet, savoury, creamy and a bit spicy. A totally different way of enjoying prawns, it’s a very easy recipe to prepare which I hope you try it and let me know what your thoughts are on this one.
500g medium prawns or shrimps
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup oats
3 tbsp cornflakes, crushed
3 tbsp powdered milk
1 tbsp sugar
10 pcs curry leaves
2 pcs dried chillies
4 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
oil, for deep frying
1. Season prawns with salt and pepper.
2. In a wok heat enough oil for deep frying, deep fry prawns until crispy. Remove from wok then set aside.
3. Using a different wok add oil then pour egg yolks, mix vigorously why its cooking to from crispy strands, remove from wok, drain then set aside.
4. In a bowl mix together oats, cornflakes, milk and sugar.
5. Remove oil from wok then add butter, put heat on low and once butter is melted add curry leaves, garlic and chillies then stir fry until fragrant.
6. Add oat mixture and egg yolk strands and stir fry until oats are crispy, add more butter if needed.
7. Add deep fried prawns then continue to stir fry. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.