When I first saw this dish in Malaysia I think it’s kind of weird as I haven’t seen oatmeal mixed in a savoury stir fried dish, but given it’s a seafood dish I should definitely have no hesitation as I am a sucker for seafood. Butter oat prawns is a dish made out of deep fried prawns mixed with a stir fried crispy oat and sometime cornflake mixture, the taste is a wonderful combination of sweet, savoury, creamy and a bit spicy. A totally different way of enjoying prawns, it’s a very easy recipe to prepare which I hope you try it and let me know what your thoughts are on this one.
500g medium prawns or shrimps
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup oats
3 tbsp cornflakes, crushed
3 tbsp powdered milk
1 tbsp sugar
10 pcs curry leaves
2 pcs dried chillies
4 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
oil, for deep frying
- Season prawns with salt and pepper.
- In a wok heat enough oil for deep frying, deep fry prawns until crispy. Remove from wok then set aside.
- Using a different wok add oil then pour egg yolks, mix vigorously why its cooking to from crispy strands, remove from wok, drain then set aside.
- In a bowl mix together oats, cornflakes, milk and sugar.
- Remove oil from wok then add butter, put heat on low and once butter is melted add curry leaves, garlic and chillies then stir fry until fragrant.
- Add oat mixture and egg yolk strands and stir fry until oats are crispy, add more butter if needed.
- Add deep fried prawns then continue to stir fry. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.