This is what’s nice with summer you can enjoy fresh grilled dishes like this matched with a light summer salad and some very cold apple cider, after days of raining here in Auckland at last the sun is out and everybody is firing up their barbecues and enjoy the company of friends and family in the sunny garden deck, I know you guys up there are envious of our weather now don’t worry in four more months you will have it and it will start feeling what you feel.
Anyways lets go to the recipe, basically everything in the plate is very easy to prepare which makes it outdoor and barbecue friendly. First is the beef and we used the “Scotch Steak Fillet” cut which is a good tender cut but not that expensive compared to Fillet Mignon, this cut is around $30 per kg. The key here is a very hot barbecue plate, a well season beef and resting it before serving. I cooked it 3 minutes on each side yielding a very good medium rare beef. Next on the plate is grilled corn on the cob, this one of the best ways enjoying corn as it locks its flavours as you are not boiling it, it also adds that nice grilled smoky flavour especially when you grill it over charcoal. The final item on the plate is a Greek Style Salad which is made out of sun dried tomatoes, olives, feta, cucumber and lettuce leaves.
How about you, what do you commonly serve during barbecues?
Ingredients (Grilled Steak)
250g of inch thick beef / person
freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients (Grilled Corn on the Cob)
1 corn cob / person
Ingredients (Greek Style Salad)
Pitted Olives, sliced
Sundried Tomatoes, chopped
Method (Grilled Steak)
1. Season steak with salt and pepper then rub it with olive oil.
2. Place in a hot barbecue grill then cook for 3 minutes on each side. Adjust time depending on the thickness; the beef I used was 1 inch thick
3. Once cooked, let it rest for 3 minutes.
4. Place in plate with a teaspoon of butter on top.
Method (Grilled Corn on the Cob)
1. Place corn on a hot barbecue grill then turn once the side starts to have burn marks. Another easy way is to microwave corn cobs for 2 minutes each cob placed on top of a bowl with 2 tbsp water, then grill it until it have burn marks on each side.
2. Place on the plate and apply butter while hot.
Method (Greek Style Salad)
1. In a bowl mix together Lettuce Leaves, Olives, Feta Cheese, Sundried Tomatoes, and Cucumber.
2. Squeeze lemon and drizzle ranch dressing on top.