Sometimes when you are successful with a recipe you try to reuse it as much as possible, this post is no different as we love this cinnamon roll recipe we had for ages and were trying all sorts of different flavour variations with it. So far we had created the classic cinnamon rolls, apple caramel cinnamon rolls and now this recipe Nutella and hazelnut cinnamon rolls. This flavour is basically inspired by my favourite chocolate “Ferrero Rocher”; it is basically sprinkled with lots of chocolate chips, chopped roasted hazel nuts and topped with Nutella.
Nutella for those who don’t know is a brand of a hazelnut spread manufactured by an Italian Company called Ferrero the same company behind “Ferrero Rocher”. This spread was commercialized during the 1963’s and was an improved version of a spread created in 1944, traditionally it was made out of 50% almond and hazelnut paste and 50% chocolate and its invention was attributed to the taxed imposed before in cocoa beans that hindered the manufacturing and distribution of chocolates. Initially Pietro Ferrero sold this hazelnut concoction as solid blocks called “Pasta Gianduja” in 1946. In 1949 it was made creamy version called “Supercrema” then in 1963 Pietro Ferrero’s son Michele altered the Supercrema recipe and marketed it across Europe and it was named as “Nutella”.
It was good the recipe was altered otherwise there would be a possibility that we would not know about this product. I love Nutella much more than peanut butter; I can have it for toast every day. How about you are you fond of Nutella like the way I do?
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
3/4 cup sweetened chocolate chips
3/4 cup Nutella spread
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and margarine, salt, eggs, milk and yeast mixture. Once evenly mixed knead the dough in a floured board. Form into a large ball then place in a bowl covered in cling wrap. Place in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour or until it doubled in size.
- Remove dough from the bowl, deflate and roll into a floured surface until it reaches 24 x 16 inches in dimension. The thickness should be around 1/4 inch.
- Prepare the filling by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Spread the softened margarine over the top of the flattened dough, sprinkle the cinnamon mixture, chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Now start rolling starting on the 24 inch side until the end then cut into 2 inch slices. Place in a greased pan and set it aside in a warm place for 30 more minutes letting it slightly rise again if you want even softer bread let it rise for an hour.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 200C pre-heated oven.
- Prepare the icing by placing the chocolate chips in a double boiler, once melted add the Nutella spread. Mix well then remove then remove from double boiler, place in a piping bag.
- When rolls are cooked, top it with icing and let it cool.