Irish stew

In celebration of St Patrick’s Day, I’ve decided to post something which is of Irish origin and probably their most popular dish so far, the Irish stew.

Irish stew is a traditional food of Ireland made from lamb/mutton, potatoes, onions, and parsley. But several variations exist now where barley, carrots, turnips and even stout beer are added. This is then boiled and simmered slowly for up to two hours to extract the good flavours out of the meat and bones.

Irish stew is a product of long history and started since after the seventh century BC during the Celtic invasion of Ireland. Since then they started to possess bronze cauldrons for cooking stews. During that time it was the dominant cooking tool in ancient Ireland, hence you see a lot of different stews that originated in there. Then in 16th century, potatoes which is the key ingredient in this dish was introduced from South America and that gave birth to the Irish stew that we know of this time.

Irish stew

Serves: 4-6
  • 1 kg lamb chops or neck, cut into chunks
  • 100 g pearl barley
  • 4 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 3 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 3 medium onions, sliced
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 litre lamb stock (if you can’t find any, you may use beef stock)
  • ⅓ cup flour
  • handful of chopped parsley
  • butter
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  1. Dredge meat in flour then set aside.
  2. Place butter in pot then in medium heat brown lamb pieces.
  3. Add onions, barley, thyme and bay leaf.  Pour the stock then bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes in low heat.
  4. Add the carrots and potatoes on top of the stew then continue to simmer for 45 more minutes in low heat.
  5. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper

No Responses

1. I haven’t had this in ages. Never tried a version with pearl barley, must be a modernised version (or Kiwi version!)

2. Simply Tia says:

I love the look of this Irish stew Raymund! Hearty and yummy!

3. That’s just fantastic looking. So hearty.

4. Villy says:

I’ve never tried this. Looks great and I love stews!

5. I love a good Irish Stew – great recipe!
    :-) Mandy

6. rgingco says:

That stew is making me hungry, Raymund! Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

7. Eri says:

Next time I’ll visit my grocery store I will buy this pearl barley.. It flirted with me the last time but I left it in the shelf..
    Lovely Stew Reymund, have a wonderful weekend!

8. We love stews and I am a huge fan of pearl barley. No need to wait until next March 17th in our house to make this!

9. buttoni says:

That’s some good looking Irish Stew I’m gonna have to make soon!

10. What a perfect bowl of Irish Stew! It’s cold and rainy here and that would certainly hit the spot!

11. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

12. Perfect!!!
    What a beautiful recipe for St. Patrick’s Day….
    I have never tried this stew but seeing yours I feel like having some now.

happy st. patrick’s day.. stew looks tempting..

14. anita triana says:

wow! very interesting to make me droll, I love you all very amazing recipe, thank you so much.

15. ceciliag says:

and way way more popular than corned beef! corned beef was the beef the english brined to sell From ireland not To the Irish.. interesting.. your stew looks great.. i am a fan.. c

I love that you did something other than corned beef (which really I can only eat in a reuben). This however, I know my family would eat, well maybe not my daughter, but the rest of us would. :)

17. Yum! I love your version of classic Irish stew. It looks so authentic and delicious!

18. Purely.. Kay says:

I don’t know how I missed this post but this just looks so wonderful and hearty.

I love a classic Irish stew. All of those vegetables with the meat makes it so hearty!

Such a good hearty meal – would go perfectly with a pint of Guinness for St Patrick’s Day !

21. This sounds delicious.

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here all bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon. Different theme each month. April’s theme is Chinese Soup.

1. October 20, 2013