Mussel Fritters

Mussel Fritters

Fourth day and you might have some leftover mussels from yesterday, if there is well you can make some fritters out of it but if not feel free to buy some fresh ones.

Fritters, frytors or frytos can be sweet (fruit & nuts) or savoury (cheese, fish, vegetables) and history suggests that it existed and consumed during the Ancient Roman period. The Romans introduced it to Europe during their conquest that’s why the Spanish have frittatas and the French have the beignets as they all originated from the original Roman recipe. Initially the recipe and procedure is that the batter were run down the chef’s fingers so that five streams of dough drop down to the hot oil tangling on each other, once cooked they were sprinkled with sugar which also suggest that first fritters were of the sweet variant. Batters during those times also use wine or ale and has more egg content.

Now there are a lot of fritter variants and the combination is endless as you can put any ingredients you wish like potato, pineapple, apple, peas, corn, the list can go on. But for this post we making some mussel fritters which is a popular street food in New Zealand commonly seen in flea markets, like any other fritter it is coated in batter and is pan or deep fried. Its primary ingredient is mussels and zucchini / courgette, those ingredients is what makes this dish special, it is crunchy on the outside but soft and slimy on the inside. Great as a side dish or consumed on its own. Also for this dish I have to thank my wife for making it, this is one of the dishes I constantly nag her to make and that image above is her creation.

18 pcs cooked mussels or smoked mussels (more flavour), chopped
2 pcs courgettes, grated
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp spring onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt
freshly ground black pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon
butter

1. Mix together eggs, lemon juice, baking powder and flour. Once a thick batter mussels, courgettes, spring onion, coriander, garlic, salt and
    freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Place butter in the pan then spoon mixture to make a small pancake. Cook in medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
  3. Serve fritters with aioli or garlic infused mayonnaise.

1. I have never used mussels for fritters before, they sound delicious.
    :-) Mandy

2. Villy says:

Yum! I’ve never tried mussel in a fritter form, but clearly I should!

3. Jox says:

I must commend your great shots. You consistently take great photos of your delectable creations. :)

4. Sounds interesting. I’ve never had mussels like this.

5. nors says:

Bro…. 6 dollars yan sa takapuna ha…. Pwede tayo magbenta. Ano tayo na tayo ng stall.

6. Fab blog, popped over from Gio’s guest post today. Now following you.

7. omg i love these. EVERY POST OF YOURS LOOKS DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! makes me miss home even more as these are all dishes my grandma and grandpa make!

I’m actually not a big fan of mussels…but I would totally try this. Looks tasty

9. samology says:

oh my goodness Raymund!! I must try this! It’s definitely a star appe / dessert!

10. Purely.. Kay says:

Well fritter me.,. fritters lol. These really looks delicious. Almost remind me of seafood cakes.

11. I love this idea. I never have leftover mussels. Must buy extra next time.

Oh my goodness! You know how I feel about mussels, and I have never thought about using them in fritters. Fantastic idea! Like Greg, I’m going to have to buy extras though (and lots – the kids go wild for mussels).

13. I didn’t know you could do things with mussels other than eat them out of the shell- this looks good!

14. Hello, You have inspired me a lot. So, I have nominated your blog for the Sunshine Award. You can see your nomination here and get an idea of the rules. :)

15. anita triana says:

OH looks so good it would be nice, I’ll try it Thank you for this recipe

16. wok with ray says:

This recipe I would definitly try. They look delicious, Raymund.

17. Wow – I love the idea of these!

that sauce is garlic infused mayonnaise then? or aioli? I don’t know what’s aioli yet.. :)

19. chiquay says:

mussel fritters are YUCKY!! at times depends how you make them

1. April 27, 2012

[…] Note : this recipe also appears @ Ang Sarap, original post can be seen here Mussel Fritters […]