When I was living in Malaysia this was my replacement for a Philippine drink called Sago Gulaman, it taste the same but with better properties which I will be mentioning below, so I am sure every Filipino would love this simple and refreshing drink that I’m sure can replace your ice cold cola anytime.
Cincau is a drink made out of grass jelly, a jelly made out of the stalks and leaves of Mesona chinensis which is a member of the mint family. Since it is from the same species as mint this jelly gives it that cooling property that’s why it is commonly used in dessert and drinks in counties like Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia as it can help a lot hot and humid climate.
For this post we will be making two types of drink which are nearly similar and using the same main ingredient, the grass jelly. The drink are the Cincau (the black drink) and Michael Jackson (the black and white drink).
For the reason behind the naming, I guess everyone can decipher why it was given a name Michael Jackson but for the cincau I guess it came from the Chinese word sian-chháu which means grass jelly. If you are wondering where will you get this one, well since this is popular in Southeast Asia then I guess you can easily find it in Asian Shop where you can get this as canned or in powder version. Now what are you waiting for go to your nearest Asian Shop and make one of this refreshing drink and don’t worry it doesn’t taste anywhere near a freshly mowed lawn grass.
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 can grass jelly, cubed
- In a pot, add the first 2 tbsp of sugar and caramelize it (do not burn), then add water, vanilla and the remaining sugar, let it boil then simmer for at least 5 minutes. Make sure that the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Using a cheese cloth or any clean cloth, strain the syrup, this separates the sand-like grains from the sugar, leaving you with clear brown syrup.
- Pour the syrup in glass (according to the sweetness you like) then some cold water. Add the grass jelly and lots of ice.
- In a pot add sugar and water. Let it boil then simmer for at least 5 minutes. Make sure that the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Pour the soya milk in a glass, Add the grass jelly, sugar syrup (according to the sweetness you like) and ice