Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savoury pancake made out of flour and eggs mixed with different meat and vegetable ingredients, the most popular ones are grated yam, aonori (seaweed flakes), katsuobushi (bonito flakes), pickled ginger (beni shoga), cabbage, pork, octopus, squid and shrimps. The word Okonomiyaki came from the word okonomi which means “what you like” or “what you want” and yaki meaning “grilled” or “cooked” hence the array of ingredients you can choose to make this dish.
Okonomiyaki originated in Osaka which is a city famous for cheap and good food, similar to Penang of Malaysia and Pampanga in the Philippines. It started as a snack where you can buy in street food stalls but now there are specialty restaurants that offer this dish where the customer cooks their chosen ingredients at tables fitted with teppan.
A very good and filling snack and it feels like eating a giant takoyaki, and on my personal opinion this can replace your dinner it is an all in one meal as you have your vegetables, meat and carbs in one plate.
1 cup taro root, finely grated
5 tbsp of dashi stock
1/2 cup flour, sifted
2 tbsp beni shouga (pickled ginger)
4 tbsp tenkasu (Tempura deep fried batter) or Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs)
2 cups cabbage, chopped
8 pcs thinly sliced pork belly strips or bacon rashers
3 tbsp spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp sakura ebi (dried shrimps)
aonori or nori (chopped)
katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
Okonomi sauce (If you cant find this you can make one, ingredients below)
Ingredients (Okonomi sauce)
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy Sauce
1. In a mixing bowl mix together dashi, flour and 2 eggs to form a loose batter.
2. Add the chopped cabbage to the batter.
3. Add the remaining egg and fold it into the mixture
4. Add the beni shouga, tenkasu, spring onions and sakura ebi then stir to combine.
5. Using a flat frying pan add small amount of oil then heat to medium low. Place half of the batter in the pan then 3 strips of bacon on top. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes.
6. Flip on the other side can cook for 4 more minutes, do not press the Okonomiyaki.
7. Flip again on the other side, place in a plate then brush top with okonomiyaki or tonkatsu sauce and add mayonnaise.
8. Sprinkle with lots of katsuobushi and aonori then serve.
Method (Okonomi Sauce)
1. Mix all Okonomi ingredients together.