Munggo Ice Candy

If the Americans have popsicles, Malaysians have potong then the Filipinos have the ice candy. Ice candy are frozen treats made out of fruits, beans or even root crops such as purple yam placed in small plastic bags. Popular during summer you can see a lot of kids neighbourhood houses sells this (similar to the lemonade in America) to earn extra money.

There are a lot of flavours for this frozen wonder and the most popular ones are monggo (green or red bean), buko (coconut) and melon. Usually it is consumed by cutting the end of the plastic and sipping all of that goodness inside. I am sure this will be hard to make for those who don’t have the special plastic bags which are only sold in the Philippines but you can still refer to the recipe below and use it in your popsicle moulds. For me I will stick to the plastic bags as a friend of mine bought some for me when he went back for a vacation in the Philippines.

1 cup red beans
1 large can evaporated milk
1/2 can condensed milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups water
ice candy plastic bags

1. Cook red beans in medium heat with water until tender (this will take around 1 1/2 hrs.). Once cooked let it cool then set it aside.
  2. Set aside 1/3 amount of cooked red beans.
  3. Place evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar, remaining 2/3 the amount of red beans with 2 cups of water from boiling in a blender. Blend until mixed together but leave some texture from the red beans
  4. Using a funnel, add 1 tsp of cooked red beans the pour the blended mixture in the ice candy plastic bags. Tie tightly and do with the remaining mixture.
  5. Freeze then serve.

Note:
This should be so sweet and it’s meant that way, the freezing process will lessen the sweetness.
You can buy these plastic bags at Amazon (here and here)

1. nors says:

Bro yan ba pambalot na pinabili mo ke ram? Sarap nyan…

2. Tessa says:

How interesting and delicious! Red bean flavor “otter pops” would never have crossed my mind in a million years :). A definite must try! I wonder if I could find ice candy bags here in the U.S…

3. ChopinandMysaucepan says:

Dear Raymund,

I did grow up on ice cream potong and this is very similar. My favourite flavour is the red bean too although corn came a close second.

4. kitchenriffs says:

Really interesting – this is just totally new to me. I love learning new things! The flavor sounds so intriguing. Thanks.

5. I’ve never heard of nor seen these before, but they’re awesome! Definitely bookmark to try.

These are pretty cool. They remind me of freezer pops – in appearance anyway. My kids would love to make and sell these. They’ve been begging for a lemonade stand all summer so far. ;)

7. Caroline says:

I agree, this is way too cool! Never heard of these before, but what a great idea. :)

8. Very cool. I could use about three dozen right now.

9. thammelissa says:

I used to eat this type of ice during my school days!

Not only do we have ice candy in the states, but we don’t use beans for sweets. I love the Japanese use of red beans and black beans in dessert so I know I would love these ice candies. I see that someone found a link to buy the wrappers on-line. Yay! Thanks for sharing this traditional recipe! I love it!

11. hotlyspiced says:

These must be wonderful on hot, humid days. (If only we were having that kind of weather right now!) I love the sound of the flavours. They would be so interesting to try. I’d particularly like to try the coconut xx

12. this looks so interesting, I want to try it!

13. Teacher Tina says:

Definitely will be added to our summer treat list. I have forgotten about these treats. Thanks!

halo-halo ice candy at work cost 8 pesos.. :( sooo expensive. haven’t tried red mongo though..

15. Food Stories says:

Love, love, love learning about different foods and different cultures … this is very interesting and tasty looking :-)

I wish I could get my hands on some of the ice candy bags. I use my popsicle molds but it doesn’t have the same feeling when you’re eating it. Red mung beans are my favorite, I’ll have to make this flavor the next time (I’ve been stuck on making mais con queso & ube macapuno!)

What an easy way to make a delicious treat !

18. shania says:

masarap tlaga pag gwanq pinoy!!!!:)

19. mamabear says:

I sell Ice Candy bags.

1. July 10, 2012

[...] the Americans have popsicles, Malaysians have potong then the Filipinos have the ice candy. Ice candy are frozen treats made out of fruits, beans or even root crops such as purple yam placed [...]

2. June 10, 2014

[…] treat famous in the Philippines, the Ice Candy. I had posted several flavours before which the Munngo (Adzuki) and Avocado but today we will make a melon ice […]