Mojo potatoes are seasoned potato rounds that are deep fried and served as an accompaniment of a fried chicken, a dish that is popularized by Shakey’s Pizza. I remember before when my wife and I were dining in at Shakey’s this will always be ordered alongside with our chicken and pizza. One of the fast food dishes that we miss and crave, too bad we don’t have Shakey’s here in New Zealand so to cure that craving we have to make it on our own and here is how we did it.
3 large Russet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed and rinsed
2 cups of flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup half and half (1 part cream and 1 part milk)
freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare your potatoes by piercing the surface with fork then place it in a roasting rack and bake for 1 hour for 220C.
- Remove the potatoes from oven and let it cool for at least 15 minutes. Once cool slice the potatoes into 1/3 inch thick rounds then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, paprika and dried thyme. Season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a separate mixing bowl pour the half and half.
- Dip each potato round in the half and half and then dredge it the flour mixture.
- Deep fry each potato rounds for 2 minutes until golden brown in colour. Once cooked place in a paper towel lined plate then serve with catsup and mayonnaise.
Tip: You can cook this with the oil used for deep frying fried chicken for more flavourful result.