Potato Mojo

Potato Mojo

Mojo potatoes are seasoned potato rounds that are deep fried and served as an accompaniment of a fried chicken, a dish that is popularized by Shakey’s Pizza.  I remember before when my wife and I were dining in at Shakey’s this will always be ordered alongside with our chicken and pizza.  One of the fast food dishes that we miss and crave, too bad we don’t have Shakey’s here in New Zealand so to cure that craving we have to make it on our own and here is how we did it.

Potato Mojo

Serves: 5-6
Potato Mojo
  • 3 large Russet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed and rinsed
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 cup half and half (1 part cream and 1 part milk)
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • oil
Condiments
  • Catsup
  • Mayonnaise
  1. Prepare your potatoes by piercing the surface with fork then place it in a roasting rack and bake for 1 hour for 220C.
  2. Remove the potatoes from oven and let it cool for at least 15 minutes. Once cool slice the potatoes into ⅓ inch thick rounds then set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl combine together flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, paprika and dried thyme. Season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  4. In a separate mixing bowl pour the half and half.
  5. Dip each potato round in the half and half and then dredge it the flour mixture.
  6. Deep fry each potato rounds for 2 minutes until golden brown in colour. Once cooked place in a paper towel lined plate then serve with catsup and mayonnaise.
Notes
You can cook this with the oil used for deep frying fried chicken for more flavourful result.

1. Oh God this recipe is so timely! Gonna have this for this weekend :D !

2. Sounds good! Great photo!

3. IdaBaker says:

I have only been to Shakey’s once, and it was pretty good, but I do remember their potatoes.

Plus, I’m always on the look out for a new way to make potatoes an interesting side dish. :)

4. nors says:

Bro pang pulutan yan sa may city ha. Yung pinag discohan natin.

5. What a brilliant snack!
    :-) Mandy

6. Love the name and the look of these potato bad boys! So gorgeous and tasty I’m sure :)

7. They look like a less greasy cousin of the potato scallop (I’m guessing also available from fish and chip shops in NZ?). Oh and much more flavourful… mmm paprika and chilli!

8. These sound so tasty and delicious and couldn’t be easier to make. Thanks for sharing!

9. They look perfectly crisp, well done!

10. kiwidutch says:

Looking forward to making these Raymund!

11. Tessa says:

Looks delicious! I would never have guessed that there was half and half in the recipe. Here in Southern Oregon, they serve similar potatoes at pizza restaurants but they put Ranch Dressing on the side for dipping instead of ketchup.

It’s been YEARS since I thought of Shakey’s Pizza! There use to be one here back in the 80’s, but it’s long gone. Loved going there and I do remember these potatoes!!! How wonderful that you brought them back and made a recipe for them! These looks perfect!

13. I love this!!!! :) Super favorite namin ng asawa ko sa Shakeys to :) Thanks foryour wonderful recipes, we loved your Southern Style Fried Chicken and I will try this one out too! I’d try to document that and post it on my blog and share it with you! :D

14. Reblogged this on Butter Love Affair and commented:
    This is one of our favorite food from Shakey’s Pizza in the Philippines. It is absolutely a must-order for me and my husband whenever we are there! I’ll try to make this soon and show you the step by step photos. Thanks to Ang Sarap’s Raymund for this recipe!!

15. Mmm these look good, I love the seasonings!

16. This really looks terrific! Give me potatoes in any shape- mashed or fried, I love it.

17. Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, there are still Shakey’s Pizza places? They disappeared from here ages and ages ago. These potatoes, though, like everything you make, look absolutely delicious!

18. hey! thanks for sharing this. i really love mojos.

I haven’t been to a Shakey’s in years! Brought back some memories! And I’m not sure how I missed these fries there, but I think I’d prefer your version. They look fantastic!

20. Henry Tan says:

I like potato mojo, everytime we order in Shakey it is not complete without it ^_^

21. We have a Shakey’s down the block and i still haven’t been in years! ;) Love the mojos those. They are definitely a guilty pleasure. Yours most certainly would be light years better than theirs Raymund!

22. Yes, I do remember potato mojo from Shakey’s Pizza. Do they still have mojo’s on their menu? It’s been a while since I ate there. Your mojos look very nice and crisp on the outside and I am sure they taste wonderful. :)

23. jim.sab says:

mojo? pinalihian ng asawa ko to way back in the mid 90’s. will try doing them here in calgary.

1. November 21, 2013

[…] for: At least eight kinds of pizza (two being dessert pizzas), three kinds of pasta, and “mojo potatoes.” This being Japan, things are a tad different. A common all-you-can-eat staple is curry and […]