Rellenong Talong

Its the monthly pot luck of World in a Plate again and our theme this month is stuffed vegetables, while in Philippines we have lots of stuffed recipes like Rellenong Pusit (Stuffed Squid), Rellenong Alimasag (Stuffed Crabs), Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milk Fish) and Rellenong Manok (Stuffed Chicken) we barely have stuffed vegetables and the only stuffed vegetable Filipino dish that I know of is the Rellenong Talong.

While some will contend that this is more of an omelette than a stuffed vegetable I believe it’s the latter as the definition of relleno in Spanish is “stuffed”. The omelette version of this dish is called Tortang Talong where it does not contain meat on its ingredient list and mainly just eggs and eggplant.

As a child I really never liked this dish, when this is served in our table I always get the egg and meat components and try avoid the eggplants in the middle, but that changed when I grew older and started to like it. Thanks to a fast food restaurant in the Philippines called “Cucina” located in Robinsons Galleria who introduced me to a really good “Rellenong Talong” dish since then I tried to recreate their version at home and it never failed me, it is always a big hit in our dining table.

3 Japanese eggplants
8 eggs
150g minced beef
150g minced pork
1 pc large red capsicum, chopped
1 large red onion, minced
3 cloves garlic
freshly ground black pepper
salt
oil

1. In a pot boil water with 1 tsp salt, add eggplants and cook for 5 minutes
  2. Remove eggplants and let it cool down. When it’s cool enough to be touched peel off the skin and flatten the eggplants with fork, make sure it’s in one piece. Set aside.
  3. In a pan add a small amount of oil then sauté garlic and onions. Add minced meats and cook until light brown in colour, add the capsicum then stir fry for 30 seconds then turn heat off. Set aside and let it cool down.
  4. In a mixing bowl beat together 8 eggs then combine with cooked minced meat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  5. In a small (between 7-9 in diameter) non-stick pan using low heat, add small amount of oil and add the egg mixture just enough to cover the pan, top it with one of the flattened eggplants then pour some more of egg mixture on top. Cover the pan then cook one side for 4-6 minutes in low heat.
  6. Flip the eggplant patty then continue on the other side for 3 more minutes.
  7. Remove from pan then serve with catsup.

For other stuffed vegetable recipes please visit the following World in a Plate members.

1. Tessa says:

What an interesting dish! Looks delicious! It does somewhat remind me of a chile relleno… If I see some Japanese eggplants at my farmer’s market, I will snag a few and I will definitely be trying this!

2. A great mid week dinner dish. Sounds yummy and quick and easy. You are very skillful for turning your eggplant all in one swoop without it breaking apart when you are frying it!

3. ceciliag says:

I am certainly going to make this one.. I love the look of that! c

4. buttoni says:

This sounds delicious, Raymund. Think I’ll try this with my next Japanese eggplant.

5. that’s funny, my first thought was that it looked a lot like the omelette I got this morning at brunch :)

6. Eha says:

Yum, had not thought of using eggplant like this! Shall try! Learned a new word too ‘rellenong’: shall ‘show off’!!

7. Mmmm this sounds delicious! I’ve never had it but it looks so good and has some of my favorite ingredients.

8. What an excellent idea – never thought of doing something like this before. :-) Mandy

9. Katerina says:

This is certainly something I would love to try! Very unusual dish and I love eggplants!

10. machisan says:

You made me smile when I saw this one, this is my type of dish and can eat it everyday.

11. Karen says:

This sounds very good. I never thought about boiling whole eggplants…thanks for the tip.

12. Really looks and sounds good. I’m going to have to come back to this recipe when I have time. Thanks rs.

13. jen laceda says:

Raymund, I grew up eating these rellenong talong! Granted, I had to be forced to eat them, as they weren’t my first choice of dish! But what did I know then? Nowadays, I am so very happy to see these stuffed eggplants on my table! We always have this at Filipinos parties / get-togethers over here!…And I always have a serving or two. Or three…

14. What a fantastic dish! Would love to try this out!

15. wok with ray says:

I love dipping this in soy sauce and chili pepper and of course with lots of rice. This is good comfort food. You are making me hungry, Raymund! :)

What an interesting way to prepare eggplant! I’ve never seen anything like it, but the ingredients (except for 6 of the eggs) remind me of an eggplant casserole that I make. Same combination of ingredients and flavors, but used differently and your looks much more appetizing. Mine, being a casserole, is a pile of casserole on a plate and we all know what that looks like! Thanks for sharing this!

17. gelaikuting says:

gutoooom na akooooo! favorite ko ang talong at sitaw :) Nom nom nom…

18. i’ve never had a dish with eggplant and egg together (shame on me) but the rellenong talong looks and sounds really delicious! Like work with ray suggested, it would be a rice killer when dipped in some spicy soy dipping sauce :) Thanks for sharing!

I love anything and everything to do with eggplant. This will be a fabulous recipe to make!

I’ve actually never had this (I blame the fact that my mom doesn’t cook :P). I do really want to try this though, I’m a huge fan of eggplant and stuffing it with all those other ingredients would only make it better.

easy healthy dish.. if only i can stomach eggplants.. :(

22. PolaM says:

I cook eggplants in a lot of different ways, but this one is totally new to me!! What a great idea!

23. Delishhh says:

Just gorgeous – and they look so good too.

24. MJyummymunch says:

Nice! I sometimes cook this at home. I like it with soy sauce but my husband likes it with ketchup. Now I’m getting hungry, craving for Filipino food :)