We all know the popular Beef and Broccoli dish and definitely had created or own versions in one way or another, some put extra vegetables like carrots or mushrooms, some uses other meat like chicken or pork but in this instance I will be using a different type of broccoli and it is the Chinese Broccoli.
Chinese broccoli also known Kai-lan, a leafy vegetable with thick stems and a small number of tiny flower heads similar to the ones you see in broccoli. Broccoli and kai-lan belong to the same species Brassica oleracea that’s why its flavour is nearly similar but with a hint of bitterness. A very popular vegetable in the Chinese cuisine so you will not have a hard time looking for this vegetable in Asian shops.
A really nice variation to the common beef and broccoli especially if you love green leafy vegetables. How about you have you got your own version of Beef and Broccoli?
500g beef tenderloin, cut in thin strips
1 bunch Kai-lan
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Chinese wine
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp tapioca starch
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pc shallot, thinly sliced
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup water
1. In a pot boil water with oil and pinch of salt.
2. Once boiling add kai-lan quickly cook for 60-90 seconds. Drain, rinse with cold running water then set aside.
3. Mix beef with cornstarch, 2 tbsp Chinese wine, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
4. Heat up the wok in high heat add oil and sauté garlic and shallots.
5. Add the beef and quickly stir fry, still in high heat.
6. Mix together water, tapioca starch, oyster sauce, soy sauce and Chinese wine. Pour mixture into the wok and bring to a boil
7. Add kai-lan, then mix to evenly distribute sauce then turn heat off. Serve.