Gulaman with Pineapples and Raisins

Gulaman with Pineapples and Raisins

Gulaman is a type of jelly dessert made out of agar; it is then flavoured with milk, pineapple juice, pineapples and raisins.  It is another popular dessert in the Philippines, mainly because it’s easy to make and it’s very economical.

Agar or agar-agar is a gelatinous substance coming from red algae; it is a popular ingredient in Asian cuisine where its use is not just restricted in gelatine.  Also used as a laxative, an appetite suppressant, gelatine substitute for vegetarians and a thickener for soups; it is also used in fruit preserves, ice cream and other desserts like this post.

Gulaman with Pineapples and Raisins

• 2 bars red gulaman
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 large evaporated milk
  • 1 large can pineapple, cubed reserve liquid
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • 1½ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. In a large sauce pan tear gulaman into small pieces add water, reserved liquid from pineapple and sugar then bring to a boil then simmer until gulaman flakes are totally dissolved.
  2. Remove from heat then add evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Place in a container or jelly mould then set aside for 5 minutes to cool down, at this stage liquid will be a bit thicker and start to set.
  3. Slowly add pineapples and raisins then place in the refrigerator.
  4. Remove from mould then serve chilled.

Featured Food Blog - AngSarap.Net

1. Kiran says:

I’m assuming this is agar agar? :D

2. Ruth Tuvilla says:

I remember as a child eating this dessert during fiestas, christmas holidays, and special occasions . Had never personally tried cooking this until now that you posted the recipe and the forgotten taste is back.

3. I am going to look for some agar agar but I am not sure I can find it here.
    Would it work with gelatine?

4. Very cool looking dessert. Always learning something over here.

5. peachkins says:

we make this a lot during fiestas!!!

6. We call this “China Grass” in India. My mother used to make this for us all the time. She would layer it in glasses with one layer of china grass and one of jelly and top it off with some fruit.
    This looks yummy and brought back so many childhood memories.

7. Jasline says:

You made this agar agar so pretty and so delicious-looking! Would love to try some of ti now!

8. Sounds like a refreshing treat for a hot day.

9. Karen says:

Very pretty and so different.

10. Purely.. Kay says:

Raymund, you always introduce me to cuisine I never heard of. And this really looks interesting, pretty, and I would love to try this

11. Tessa says:

The pink color of the gulaman is really pretty!

12. ChopinandMysaucepan says:

Dear Raymund,

The colour of this gulaman is enticing and interesting combination of flavours with the pineapple and raisins too.

Agar agar sounds healthier than the gelatins I’ve read about. The dessert is so pretty too!

14. nors says:

Well done raymund……. Hehehe pre eto ba tung dala mo samin dati? Sarap bro!!!

15. anita triana says:

you always have a brilliant idea, I learned a lot from you thanks for sharing.

16. This looks really interesting. I’ve never had Agar Agar before and will have to jot it down in my list of things to try–thank you for sharing your recipe with us =D

17. that is a lot prettier than the boxed jello I make here! I bet the fruit and raisins give it a yummy texture too.

My mother use to make a jello with fruit cocktail, but I’ll have to agree with Meri – this is much prettier! It also sounds tastier. Interesting combination of the raisins and pineapple. Sounds delicious!

19. My mom used to make this when we were young!! :-D Sa loob ng mga tupperware ehehehe..

Thank you! My ni’s birthday is coming up so I was going to drop off some siopao and bibingka as a present but I was struggling to figure out what else to include – I know what I’m doing now!

21. Ch3 says:

Hi! I cant find here in Australia the gulaman bars. Can I use the powder? But how will be the measurement of water if I will add evaporated milk? Plan to make this on my bunso’s bday. Thanks heaps!

22. kristinah says:

can i use condensed milk?

23. Love those colours and I dare say this is an oldie (but a goodie!) Those ruby colours look great amongst the filling and I love the creamier style Asian jellies too :)

24. rafhael espinosa says:

what is disphersing phase and disphersing medium of gulaman..?

25. loves it such a beautiful dessert :)

1. December 25, 2013