Pancit Batil Patong

Pancit Batil Patong

Pancit Batil Patong or Pancit Tuguegarao is made out of pansit miki Tuguegarao, minced carabao meat (water buffalo), bean sprouts and other vegetables topped with egg and chicharon.  Batil Patong if directly translated means “beat the egg” for Batil and “placed on top” for Patong and that explains the egg on top.

Several months ago I posted a noodle dish called Pancit Cabagan it was one delicious noodle dish and perhaps it’s one of the best pancit Philippines have to offer but that dish have an arch-rival and it’s found in Tuguegarao, the Pancit Batil Patong.  I am not sure why are they compared to each other but if you search either Pancit Cabagan or Pancit Batil Patong in Google you will see lots of articles are comparing them to each other like a review of Canon and Nikon DSLRs, you even see people lean towards one dish and it is very evident as the words “Best Pancit Ever” is on the title.  For me I guess they are both really good but Pancit Palabok will always be my number one, don’t get me wrong on this one both pancit are way much better other noodle dishes in the Philippines.  Anyways I let you guys decide which one is better, just try them out or if you had tried them let me know what’s your thoughts.

Pancit Batil Patong

Serves: 6
  • 500g Fresh Miki or Hokkien noodles
  • 200g fatty pork belly, sliced into small pieces
  • 200g premium minced beef or minced water buffalo
  • 2 cups crushed chicharon, you can add more if you want (recipe here)
  • ¼ head cabbage, sliced
  • 100g bean sprouts
  • 3-4 cups chicken stock
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • fish sauce, to taste
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • fried eggs
  • oil
  • Lime, Lemon or calamansi
  1. Place wok in high heat then pour oil and add beef mince, stir fry until brown, season with salt and then set aside.
  2. Still on high heat add the pork pieces into the wok then cook until brown on all sides.
  3. Lower the heat to medium then add half of the garlic and onions, sauté for 1 minute.
  4. Put heat again on high then add the fresh noodles, 1 cup of chicken stock and soy sauce, carefully stir while cooking.
  5. Continuously stir while slowly adding the remaining chicken stock for at least 5 minutes.
  6. Flavour with fish sauce then stir in the bean sprouts. Remove noodles from wok, bean sprouts will cook in the remaining heat from the noodles then place on a large serving dish.
  7. Add oil to the wok then sauté the remaining garlic and onions, add the cabbages and stir fry for 2 minutes, season with fish sauce and pepper. Remove from wok then place on top of noodles.
  8. Spread cooked minced beef on top of vegetable.
  9. Spread crushed chicharon on top of minced beef.
  10. Top with cooked egg then serve with lime, lemon or calamansi.

1. Oh wow each layer is better than the awesome one under it. Great dish!

2. Caroline says:

Wow, what a gorgeous dish, Raymund! So many layers of deliciousness right there. Very impressive. :)

Here in New Mexico USA we call a dish like this a pileup. Piled high with lots of flavors and deliciousness! Total comfort food – that’s what I call a dish like this. I love the noodles, the cabbage, the meat, and to top it off – the egg! What a GREAT dish!

4. Oh my goodness, seriously Raymund, this looks AMAZING! I love the noodles, the fried eggs, the minced meat, and the crunchy… everything!

5. jen laceda says:

For me, my no.1 pancit is palabok, too! But I’ll never ever turn down a pancit with chicharron and fried egg on top! Yum, yum…

6. kitchenriffs says:

Gosh, so much good stuff crammed into one dish! Great combo of flavors here. I’m a sucker for anything with noodles in it. The fried egg looks great! Good stuff – thank you so much.

7. This will be a great dish for my teenagers when they come home starving from school.

8. This looks fantastic – I love egg with my noodles. Used to get this combo from an Asian foodcourt when I worked in the city with duck.

9. Layers n Layers of Goodness!!!
    I am learning about so many new dishes here.. love it!!

10. peasepudding says:

I really like dishes with eggs on top, whether asian or European

There would easily be something for all of us in these gorgeous layers. :)

12. it is so pretty with the egg on top! like the cherry atop a sundae :)

13. I love any dish that has fried egg on top. It states “comfort” in the dish! I rarely see fried egg on noodle dish, so I was excited to learn about this dish!

I love all that layering! I’ve never seen this before – definitely going on my must try list (especially with the fried egg!)

Put a fried egg on anything and I love it – put it over that dish and I’m in heaven !

16. George C Vlk says:

I am an American and I belong to the Rotary Club of TuguegaraoRainbow. They introduced me to Batil PaTong at the Long Life Restaurant. I enjoyed it very much with the liver, onion and egg flavors.Now here in Georgia on 30 day visit, my Filipina friend never heard of this dish and they originate from Quirino, Isabela,,

• Jonathan baluyot says:

Long life is now closed. The cook put up his own panciteria and its now named Jeff’S Panciteria. sarap sarap!

17. ivan says:

where’s the soup in this pansit batil patong?? i miss to eat this

1. June 12, 2014

[…] share these dishes, so far I had already posted several regional specialities like Pancit Cabagan, Pancit Batil Patong, Kansi, Bulanglang and Dinengdeng to name some. We will not stop with those that is why I am […]