Pancit Batil Patong or Pancit Tuguegarao is made out of pansit miki Tuguegarao, minced carabao meat (water buffalo), bean sprouts and other vegetables topped with egg and chicharon. Batil Patong if directly translated means “beat the egg” for Batil and “placed on top” for Patong and that explains the egg on top.
Several months ago I posted a noodle dish called Pancit Cabagan it was one delicious noodle dish and perhaps it’s one of the best pancit Philippines have to offer but that dish have an arch-rival and it’s found in Tuguegarao, the Pancit Batil Patong. I am not sure why are they compared to each other but if you search either Pancit Cabagan or Pancit Batil Patong in Google you will see lots of articles are comparing them to each other like a review of Canon and Nikon DSLRs, you even see people lean towards one dish and it is very evident as the words “Best Pancit Ever” is on the title. For me I guess they are both really good but Pancit Palabok will always be my number one, don’t get me wrong on this one both pancit are way much better other noodle dishes in the Philippines. Anyways I let you guys decide which one is better, just try them out or if you had tried them let me know what’s your thoughts.
500g Fresh Miki or Hokkien noodles
200g fatty pork belly, sliced into small pieces
200g premium minced beef or minced water buffalo
2 cups crushed chicharon, you can add more if you want (recipe here)
1/4 head cabbage, sliced
100g bean sprouts
3-4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup soy sauce
fish sauce, to taste
1 red onion, sliced
8 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
Lime, Lemon or calamansi
- Place wok in high heat then pour oil and add beef mince, stir fry until brown, season with salt and then set aside.
- Still on high heat add the pork pieces into the wok then cook until brown on all sides.
- Lower the heat to medium then add half of the garlic and onions, sauté for 1 minute.
- Put heat again on high then add the fresh noodles, 1 cup of chicken stock and soy sauce, carefully stir while cooking.
- Continuously stir while slowly adding the remaining chicken stock for at least 5 minutes.
- Flavour with fish sauce then stir in the bean sprouts. Remove noodles from wok, bean sprouts will cook in the remaining heat from the noodles then place on a large serving dish.
- Add oil to the wok then sauté the remaining garlic and onions, add the cabbages and stir fry for 2 minutes, season with fish sauce and pepper. Remove from wok then place on top of noodles.
- Spread cooked minced beef on top of vegetable.
- Spread crushed chicharon on top of minced beef.
- Top with cooked egg then serve with lime, lemon or calamansi.