Pinaupong Manok

Pinaupong Manok

Pinaupong manok is a chicken dish dry cooked in a palayok (earthenware pot) set on a sitting position placed on a bed of rock salt lined with banana leaf.  This process makes the pot acts like and oven and cooks the chicken using its own juices, the salt in the bottom prevents the chicken from burning while the banana leaf gives it a different aroma.

This was the most common way of baking chicken in the Philippines during the early days when gas ovens was not yet invented.  A really simple way of preparing chicken as traditional recipes only calls for chicken, salt, lemon grass and lots of patience as cooking this dish would take at least an hour per kilo of chicken.

For this post I will be making some slight revisions to the traditional recipe hence I will be adding onions, spring onions, ginger, garlic and pepper to give it more flavour.

Ingredients (Chicken)

1 whole chicken, size 14-16
2 whole onions, quartered
1 whole garlic, pounded with skin on
1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
3 stalks lemon grass
freshly ground black pepper
3 cups rock salt
banana leaves

Ingredients (Dipping Sauce)

3 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp chicken drippings (you get this when you rest the chicken, don’t use the one from the bottom of the pot)
1 tsp ginger paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt

1. Generously rub chicken with salt, garlic and freshly ground black pepper inside the cavity and outside.
  2. Stuff the cavity with onions, lemon grass, garlic and ginger.
  3. Place 3 cups of rock salt in the bottom of an earthenware pot then line the top with banana leaves.  Place chicken in a sitting position then place in an open flame over stove or fire burner, make sure the rest of the chicken would not touch the sides of the pot.  Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 two hours or until chicken is tender.
  4. Once cooked, place chicken in a wire rack to cool, let the juices run in a container.
  5. Place all sauce ingredients together in a sauce pan and simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
  6. Place chicken in a serving plate then serve with dipping sauce.

1. What a great way to roast a chicken and the dipping sauce sounds heavenly. :-) Mandy

• rene says:

The skin is white in color, just like steamed chicken but yummy, for the sauce try also cooking oil with fresh finely minced garlic, a pinch of salt and soy sauce put small amount of msg if desired.

This looks beautiful Raymund! I roasted my first chicken this past weekend…it looked nothing like this. Of course my oven giving out didn’t help. Too bad I didn’t have this recipe then. :)

3. Tessa says:

What an interesting way to prepare chicken! Stuffing it with the onions, lemon grass, garlic and ginger sounds so delicious!

4. Love roasted chicken and the dipping sauce sounds wonderful!

5. Ruth says:

I don’t think there’s any banana leaves in Essex.. Is there any substitute for this one? And can I also cook this in the oven? Thank you very much! XD

6. That looks amazing and is going in my to-make file.

7. Eha says:

Love the dipping sauce: just that tad different!

What a gorgeous baked chicken! It looks perfect with the crispy skin. Bet it’s really, really moist inside! I’ve never baked a chicken in an earthware pot, and it looks like a real winner!

9. Shirley says:

Yum, sounds so aromatic! I love roasted chicken, and I’d love to try it with the banana leaf.

10. Kiran says:

Gorgeous baked whole chicken — the color on it says it all :)

Your chicken is so pretty – love that you kicked up the flavor with garlic and ginger. Plus that dipping sauce sounds divine.

I can just imagine all the wonderful flavours that have permeated into the chicken meat.

13. i love, love, love chicken…another one for my family…thank you for sharing your recipe with us. God bless you more!

14. Trina says:

This reminds me of my childhood… my dad often cooked this on weekends. Now it’s my turn to cook it for my kids. Thanks for this recipe.

15. carlos says:

I followed exactly the procedure well and its taste great, chicken is tender, juicy expecially the lemon grass aroma of banana leaves its like my Father’s recipe cooked in wooden stove.

16. sarahjane says:

the taste so good

17. Nanchel Perez says:

ginawa ko ito this Christmas and i would like to do it again this New year