Puto Calasiao

Puto Calasiao is one of my favourite rice cakes; it reminds me a lot of my childhood as this is one of the things I ask my mom to buy when she goes to the market. Because of this sweet treat it was easy for her to persuade me into doing the market with her and that persuasion is the reason why I got interested with cooking.

Puto Calasiao for those who don’t know is a type of Puto (rice cake) shaped in small bite-sized portions and it is made out of semi-glutinous rice that is fermented in earthen jars. A rice cake that originated in Calasiao, Pangasinan, it is considered as the town’s “white gold” as this is one of their economic drivers in the region. Having said that it is very evident when you visit the town as the whole street is packed with vendors selling this sweet treat alongside with other lesser known rice cake types.

Initially when I researched on how this is made, it’s quite intimidating as the whole process involves fermentation for several days to attain the same results as the authentic ones sold on the street, but after trying it’s not really hard at all and the only hard part is waiting for it to ferment. I suggest you to try this if you have tried the regular puto, this totally redefines your perception of what a rice cake is as it’s a different rice cake on its own, its sweet, its sticky, its chewy and its addictive. I guess everyone who had tried buying them either in markets or even in Calasiao find it really easy to finish a dozen or two in a matter of minutes.

Puto Calasiao

• 1 cup medium grain rice
  • ¼ cup glutinous rice
  • enough water to cover rice
  • ¾ cup + 1 tbsp sugar
  1. In a container (best to use an earthen ware bowl), combine medium grain rice, glutinous rice and water. Soak the mixture for 2 days.
  2. Drain the rice reserving the liquid, place rice in food processor or blender then blend in high speed while slowly adding water a teaspoon at a time. Continue to blend and add water until the consistency resembles pancake batter. Once texture is smooth place mixture back to the container then cover with glad-wrap. Place small holes on the glad wrap by pricking it with toothpicks, this will let the mixture breathe during the fermentation process. Place in a warm place then let it ferment for 3-4 days.
  3. After 3 or 4 days the consistency of the mixture would be thicker, gently fold sugar into the mixture.
  4. Pour into greased mould then steam for 15-20 minutes.
  5. Remove from moulds then serve.

1. peachkins says:

Dapat may ka-terno na Dinuguan!!

2. I miss Puto Calasiao. Thank you for the recipe! Awesome blog!

3. albertocook says:

I never try this…. I wont try real soon.
    It like delicious.

4. I love how few ingredients these have. They look wonderful.

5. Tessa says:

I love rice and I never heard of this recipe before. What an interesting way to prepare sweet rice cakes. I have all ingredients on hand so I’m going to give it a try!

Another new food to me! I’m definitely going to have to try a rice cake the next time I have the opportunity. :)

7. kitchenriffs says:

Cool dish. I haven’t heard of this before, but it looks awesome. The fermenting part looks interesting, too – just a fun dish to try. Thanks.

8. These look a little like the glutinous rice cakes we had in a sweet soup at a Chinese wedding tea ceremony. They were yum, worth the wait if they are a similar thing.

9. leah says:

The fermentation process uses natural yeast from the air. My grandmother (or so I heard) used to sell puto and she would use the same bowl unwashed each time she makes a batch. I wonder if adding a small amount of baker’s yeast will hasten the process from a few days to hours.

10. Kiran says:

We are rice eaters, but I’ve never had this before :)

11. chip says:

Waht does the puto mold look like?

12. Wonderful snacking here!! A few dozen, this could be a very addictive recipe for someone like me. Once I crave something.. it’s hard for me to stop! Excellent recipe! Very unique!

13. Shirley says:

I would love to try this! It reminds me of a sweet Chinese rice cake, but I had no idea how rice cakes were made, having only bought them. I like the bite-size nuggets of these.

14. julztolentino says:

Looks super delish. I wish my city would have more delicious puto like this.

Julz

15. Dona says:

Could you post a picture of the mould and the pan you steam them in? Do you steam them in the oven or in a covered pot?

16. sandy says:

Is it okay to use brown rice?
    Is there a way to bake this?

17. mareane says:

can i use rice flour instead of grain rice?

18. rosa says:

i,ve been making the simple way to make puto,,,but i really crave for the calasiao puto,thanks for the recipe n method of doing it…now i can make it for new years day.

19. cora browning says:

After four days of fermenting what will be the rice mixture looks like and does it got any smell.. i am only asking as i need to know that the mixture has not gone off…I also live in a very cold country.. will the frementation days becomes longer? i just wondered… I would like to give it a try… thank you.. i await for your reply…

20. Sheila Marie Lee says:

OMG! I am so hysterical right now!!!! THank you for this recipe…I have been looking for this in AGES!!!! Finally, it’s here!!!!Thank you MILLIONS!!!!!!:) I love your website…xoxo :)

21. Kathy says:

i’ve had regular puto, but not puto Calasiao…. how much difference is there? it’s been a long time i’ve had puto, i remember my Mom making these when i was little! i miss that, but miss my Mom lots more…

22. shitifujon says:

That’s really look so delicious. I can still remember dropping by in Calasiao Pangasinan. shitifujon.blogspot.com

23. Christian says:

How many puto (in regular puto molds) does this recipe yield?

24. Charina says:

Hi. Is this the same as Putong pulo? I have been craving for it for so long.
    I will try this one. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

25. Micaela says:

Hello! How long will the fermentation process be if you make it here in the Philippines? Thanks!

• Raymund says:

I assume it would be the same as I made this during summertime here in New Zealand. Just place them in a cool place like a cabinet, you will smell it once it ferments.

26. happy says:

I followed your recipe to the letter but how come my puto didnt “rise” it has a hard and gummy texture like kutsinta?

27. Mench says:

Hi there i tried the recipe but mine came out flat it didn’t rise.. It was fermented (i think) it had bubbles on top and the smell was there also..what mold did you use? I use the one that i usually use for kutsina. The finish product looked like a white kutsinta.. Maybe i didn’t mix it well before cooking?

28. Myhlady says:

I tried the recipe and fermented for 4 days. It did not come out right for some reason. It had a very strong sour taste my family though it was rotten. I used leche flan molds for steaming. How long do I steam it for? It turned out very gummy and dense like kutsinta.Does it really have to ferment for 3-4 days? I really want to get this recipe right. Been craving this puto for the longest time!

• Raymund says:

I think yours was over fermented, the onlu difference that we might have is the temperature the rice was fermented, I live in New Zealand so it is cooler compared to Philippines. If its hot in yoir place try fermenting it for 2-3 days, it was a hit and miss situation for me as well when I first tried this. And yes it will smell a bit sour.

29. haydy says:

just ask if this recipe of puto dont need baking powder?thank you for posting this recipe..

30. amelia sharpe says:

I noticed in pangasinan they sell in the street vendor and how long to keep the puto calasiao since we will bought in the store? it’s 2-3 days only!

31. I think I ate this when I was in grade school. So delicious and I am surprised that it look easy to make. I am making lining this recipe on my to do list with the pitsi pitsi…Thanks!

32. Belle says:

I really want to give this a try, but one thing is not so clear to me. When do you add the sugar? Will that be just before steaming?

33. Analiza says:

Halu po! Salamat at nakita ko ang page nyo at matagal ko na pong gustong malaman kung paano at anoandg recipe ng puto calasiao, kc miss ko na ang mga kakanin sa atin especially po ito. Kakaiba po kc :). Thanks po sa blog page nyo at more power!
    Analiza

34. Sienna says:

This type of puto consistency is similar to the puto that we buy at a vietnamese bakery here in Chicago. It’s very sweet and very sticky. It is not the kind of puto I grew up eating in Nueva Ecija. Nevertheless, it’s really good. More power to your site.

35. Minnie says:

Hi! This is the best puto ever! Were from pangasinan and living here in LA is frustrating as i couldnt find this kind. I used to have this and the kutsinta 3x a week!!!!now- zero for more than a year:( want to surprise my kids by making this soon! Question: i dont have the jar, dont think i can find here;( any other alternative? Thanks!!!!

36. Rudolfo. Quitasol says:

This did not work for me. The clay pot made it too cold for the east to get activated. I added yeast and fermentation started. Keeping the blended batter for four days made it sour in taste.

37. jess says:

you said after blending put back to container,same contaner where soaked together with reserved liquid?tnx