Pork and Prawn Dumplings

Dumplings is one of those simple yet delicious Chinese creations, made out of meat, seafood or sweets covered in thin dough made out of flour cooked by boiling, steaming or frying. There are different types of dumplings and here are some of the popular ones.

• Jiaozi – The most popular dumpling in China, it contains chopped vegetables and minced meat, usually consumed during Chinese New Year’s Eve, the 5th day of Chinese New Year, special family reunions and family farewell parties.
  • Wontons – nearly similar to Jiaozi in terms of fillings but wrapped differently and usually boiled together with soup.
  • Zongzi – These are triangle or cone shaped sweets like red bean, dates or even meats where the skin is made out of glutinous rice usually consumed during Dragon Boat Festivals.
  • Shumai – Yes this are considered as dumplings as well, covered differently as the top part is usually exposes the fillings.
  • Tangyuan – Another sweet type dumpling which are smaller in size and also made out of glutinous rice flour can be filled with peanuts, red beans, sweet sesame, lotus seeds, and much more. This is usually consumed during the Lantern Festivals.

This is one of my favourite Chinese dishes and most probably the first on the list specially the Shumai’s we can’t leave a Chinese restaurant without ordering those, there are hundreds of varieties of this lovely dish for me is the Chinese counterpart for the Japanese sushi. They’re small, they pack a lot of flavours and they are a work of art especially if you see the other intricate varieties. For this recipe we will be making the simple one which is the Jiaozi and we will be filling it with minced pork and prawns, it can be deep fried, steamed or boiled.

Pork and Prawn Dumplings

• Wonton wrappers
  • 250g minced pork
  • 250g minced prawns
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
  • 1 stalk spring onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp ginger paste
  • salt
  1. In a mixing bowl mix together all ingredients except for the wrappers.
  2. Place 1 tbsp of the meat mixture into the middle of each wrapper then dampen the edges of the wrapper with water. Now the dough over the filling making a half moon shape then seal the edges by pinching it.
  3. If you are boiling: Place water into a large pot and bring it to a boil, once boiling place dumpling slowly one by one while giving it a gentle stir to avoid them sticking together. Cook each dumpling for around 3-4 minutes.
  4. If you are deep frying: Heat up oil in deep fryer and deep fry each dumpling for 3-4 minutes
  5. If you are steaming: Place dumplings in steamer and steam for 25 minutes.

No Responses

1. These look good! I love steamed dumplings.

2. Tessa says:

Wow! I could use a big plate of those dumplings right now! Delicious!

3. eha says:

Such a lovely simple recipe: steamed for me, please!

4. One of our favorites. Great recipe and tips.

5. Yummy – like you, we can’t visit a Chinese restaurant without having dumplings. In fact the kids often ask to have dumplings like this for dinner, all on their own. Great roundup of the different types!

6. PolaM says:

I have to learn to make dumplings! I love their springy texture, so different than the one of ravioli!

7. I’ve just pinned this one, my daughter loves dumplings (as do I).. I hope I get the chance to make this. In most restaurants, do they usually only use minced pork?

8. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will make these on Friday and let you know how they turn out. My husband loves pork and ginger dumplings and we often order it when we go to a Chinese restaurant. Do you recommend steaming or frying them. These look so yum! Pinning this.

I’m with you Raymund – dumplings are my favorite Chinese bites as well. I go to a dim sum regularly that serves lots of different dumplings. These look just like them! Love the pork and prawns!

10. Mmmmmm… I love a good dumpling any day or night!

11. anita triana says:

This is a favorite food to me, looks nice . I’ll give it a try thank you.

12. peasepudding says:

I love Chinese dumplings but I always cheat and go to yum char for them!

ah, so that’s what a dumplings look like… i heard it mentioned but didn’t know what she was talking about

I never realized there were so many different types of dumplings lol – I always just say dumplings. Loving that you went protein heavy in your version :) Are the ones in the photo steamed or boiled? (Anytime I boil them they always stick together no matter what I do!)

1. November 1, 2012

[...] egg noodles cooked wontons pork barbecue, thinly sliced bok [...]

2. January 29, 2013

[...] a combination steaming and pan frying. This little wonder originated in China from a dish called Jiaozi, the name was then derived from the reading of the word giaozi the Shandong Chinese dialect for [...]