Melon Juice

When one of my friends went back to the Philippines I had asked him to buy several items for me, regular Philippine kitchen items which I cannot find here in New Zealand. One of the items is called buko / melon scraper which basically is a tool to scrape fruit meat into long rounded strands. Since then I haven’t used them as it was given to me during the winter season which means melons (cantaloupes) and buko (coconuts) are commercially unavailable but now its summer so we have lots of them.

Today we will be making some Melon Juice or Cantaloupe Juice; it is a type of Filipino refreshment where it is made out of shredded Melon, Water, Sugar, Milk and Ice. It is a popular street drink where you can see it everywhere usually served in small drinking plastic bags with straws sold alongside with buko juice and sago gulaman. A very easy drink to make, definitely it would quench your thirst especially during the hot summer days.

Melon Juice

• 1 medium sized melon/cantaloupe
  • 1.5 litres water
  • 1 large can evaporated milk (Optional)
  • sugar (according to desired sweetness, Filipinos love it sweet)
  • ice cubes
  1. Cut melon in half; remove the middle part with seeds.
  2. Scrape melon meat and place it in a large pitcher.
  3. Pour in the water and evaporated milk.
  4. Stir in sugar and ice.
Notes
You can omit the evaporated milk and replace it with same amount of water, some serve it without milk.
If using milk you need to consume it immediately as it will turn bitter due to their proteolytic enzyme which breaks down the milk proteins, this happens occasionally I am not sure why but most probably the content of enzymes varies between different melons.

No Responses

1. Guia Obsum says:

Wow!!! I love melon juice and it’s been a long times since I’ve last had one complete with the melon ribbons. :)

I love how the fruit strands color the drink. Looks refreshing!

3. Condensed milk? Sounds unusual for a fruit drink but very delicious.

4. Michelle says:

I must find one of those tools!

5. AnitaTriana says:

wow, a great idea is appropriate for a small party at home, I’ll make it .Thank you

6. My mom used to make this on a very very hot day in the Philippines!!! :D SUper yummmmy naman!

7. jen laceda says:

This is perfect for hot weather! When I was living in the Philippines, my grandma used to make this for me with lots of ice cubes! I haven’t had this drink in over 15 years, since I moved to Canada! You are right! It’s hard to find that scraper here!

can’t wait to be in cantaloupe season again.. yay. love this fruit.. we don’t have this melon scraper. mom just use fork.. :)

9. Kiran says:

Oh yum! I love the styling of this recipe :)

I love cantaloupe juice! We never used milk to make ours (and always used a lemon zester on the cantaloupe) so I definitely want to give the milk twist a shot.

11. Interesting tool. I’ve only seen melon ball maker thingys here. Must try and get one next time we go to the Philippines. Love the drink, but I’d add coconut milk instead for a more tropical version I think. Yum yum!

12. JustMeRache says:

My favorite!! SOOOO good and refreshing……yum!!

1. April 17, 2013

[...] to avoid confusion, it is a popular street food which is usually sold together with buko juice, melon drink and the popular sago’t gulaman all together they called palamig which means “to cool [...]