Garlic Sprouts is one of the vegetables that I like, it’s sweet, crunchy and a good source of fibre but it’s not available whole year round but it has an excellent shelf life. Last weekend it started showing up on Asian groceries so I got hold of one bunch and decided to make something Asian and it’s called Shredded Pork and Garlic Sprouts Stir Fry. A very simple dish which goes well paired with freshly steamed rice.
250g pork, sliced into thin strips
1 bunch garlic sprouts, sliced
1 carrot, julienned
2 stalks spring onions, sliced
1 tbsp thinly sliced ginger
1 tsp cornstarch
1 white onion, sliced
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
egg white from 1 egg
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a mixing bowl add pork, salt, cooking wine, light soy sauce, egg white and cornstarch. Mix well then set aside for 15 minutes.
2. In a wok heat oil then add pork in small batches and stir fry for 2 minutes, do not brown. Place pork in a colander then set it aside.
3. Using the same wok add onion and ginger then stir-fry until fragrant.
4. Add the carrots and garlic sprouts then stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add the pork then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.