Chicken Pimiento Casserole is a dish made out of chicken and pimiento in a creamy sauce. I am not sure of the origins of this dish but I know my mom loves this as she makes this a lot when I was younger.
Basically the dish’s’ main element are the pimiento and it is the one that gives it that sweet and aromatic chilli flavour. Pimiento or cherry pepper is a popular type of chilli in the Philippines and America; it looks similar to red bell pepper or red capsicum as what we call here but in a smaller form usually 3 to 4 inches in length. It tastes sweet and more succulent and aromatic compared to red bell peppers.
Today I am going to recreate her recipe a simple hearty dish with strong hints of pimiento in a creamy sauce, best enjoyed with steaming hot rice.
1 kg chicken legs
3 pcs pimientos or 3 small orange capsicums (this give you near similar flavour), chopped
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
2 pcs shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp butter
freshly ground black pepper
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a heavy pan add small amount of oil and brown chicken pieces in batches. Remove chicken from pan then set aside.
3. Add butter in the same pan then sauté garlic and shallots.
4. Add flour and mix until thick.
5. Add water, thyme, oregano and chicken then simmer in low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add pimientos and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add evaporated milk then simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.