Pastillas de Leche

Pastillas de Leche if directly translated from Spanish means “milk tablets” or “milk pills” which basically describes this Filipino sweet delicacy. Pastillas de leche are sweet milk candies are made out of carabao (water buffalo) milk shaped into small cylinders, it is hardened by evaporation and addition of sugar during the cooking process. This sweet confectionary can be found in some places in South America as well as the Philippines more specifically in San Miguel Bulacan where sweets like this is an industry and a main source of income.

For this post we will not undergo the traditional process of making a pastillas but we will be making the quick and easy version (trust me you won’t notice the difference) that can be made right at your home kitchen all you need is condensed milk and powdered milk.

3 cups powdered milk
1 can condensed milk
white sugar

1. In a large mixing bowl combine together powdered milk and condensed milk; gently fold the mixture until texture resembles a dough.
  2. Once mixed well and the texture is consistent pinch a small amount and roll it with your palms until the shape is in cylindrical form.
  3. Roll each candy in sugar to prevent them sticking together.
  4. Wrap in cellophane the store in airtight containers.

1. What a fantastic gift idea. :-) Mandy

2. Karen says:

Talk about something easy to make…I can see why they are popular.

3. What a great Christmas treat. I’d love to have a basket of these out.

4. Tessa says:

Very pretty in the cellophane wrappers!

These along with the wheat/milk cakes are my favorite. I didn’t realize how easy there were to put together. We’ve got our Thanksgiving coming this weekend, maybe I can make some for the kids :)

6. Gracie says:

Pastillas de Leche is a favorite! Thank you for the recipe. I have to try it out this weekend.

7. Sefie says:

Oh dear, there goes the diet…

8. Very nice, I have eaten something similar, really really delicious. Powdered milk and condensed milk just on its own is very delicious:)

9. Shirley says:

These are very pretty! I’m trying to imagine the taste. Is it anything like caramel?

10. These turned out so pretty.. I can just imagine you giving them to your family and friends for Christmas? If not.. just airmail a few this direction, lol!!

11. Teacher Tina says:

I had forgotten about this. I used to do this with my preschool students. Love them!

• rsmacaalay says:

I think its a sterotype in the Philippines as teachers commonly sell or give this as well as other Filipino delicacies to their students.

• Teacher Tina says:

I didn’t give it though. My students made it themselves. The ingredients are easy enough to find, not to mention inexpensive, and the children can roll and mush to their hearts’ content.

I would think twice about eating them after the kids had a blast making them…if you know what I mean :)

12. Raffy Cooper says:

Found this Dairy Fresh Goat’s Milk Pastillas de Leche made from pure goat’s milk, with absolutely no extender. The packaging is really really nice, i think Dairy Fresh redefines pastillas de leche as a delectably soft milk candy perfect as a healthy gift or give away.

easy peasy.. maybe i’ll try this.. :)

Quick and easy is always good with me – especially if there’s no real flavor difference. These are cute and would be ideal for the holidays!

15. azil says:

just what i need for a big kiddie party… thanks!

1. February 10, 2013