Tortang Talong

Tortang Talong or Eggplant Omelette is a Filipino dish made out of eggs and eggplant. A very popular breakfast item served together with sinangag (garlic fried rice) and catsup, it’s easy to make and it’s cheap. There are two ways of making this simple meal one is boiling the eggplants and another one is grilling them, I leave it up to you on what’s your preference but for me grilling the eggplants first tastes better. If you choose to grill don’t put out the barbecue or grilling pan as most of the Filipinos just cook it over stove top over open flame.

Tortang Talong

Serves: 3
  • 3 pcs Asian Eggplants
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • oil
  1. Cook your eggplants with skin on, either by boiling or grilling on open flame. Once soft and cooked, lightly mash it on the plate preserving its form and remove the skin off.
  2. Season beaten eggs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  3. Dip eggplants on egg then pan fry in low heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
  4. Serve with catsup.

1. This sounds delicious. Could you roast these in the oven before dipping?

2. kiwidutch says:

Yum these sound delicious!!!

3. starlight says:

its my daughter’s favorite comfort food..

4. Always discovering something new (to me) here. This looks great.

5. Tessa says:

Looks and sounds delicious! I love eggplant!

6. I think I would definitely enjoy the grilled method much more, what an interesting presentation — made me think of doing the same thing with chili peppers. :)

7. Liza says:

This is one of my Filipino comfort foods. I’ve also added cooked ground pork to the egg mixture before dipping.. YUM. My Canadian husband loves this too, he even pronounces the name correctly… lol. Thanks for the post.

8. I’ve seen something like this before somewhere, trying to think where.

9. Michelle says:

I’m always learning something new here. I don’t even like eggplant, but this looks delicious! Oh, my, and you can add pork to it? Maybe I’ll reconsider my eggplant phobia.

Oh I LOVE this! I just bought an eggplant and hadn’t decided what to do with it until now! This will make a great vegetarian meal for a week that has been pretty heavy with meat. Thanks!!!

11. Mmmm yum I love tortang talong! I made some for dinner for the first time last night. So good!

12. Interesting use of eggplant there. Totally going to have to play around with this idea.

This is one of my fav breakfasts (or lunches…or dinners…) I agree – grill is the way to go.

I’ve never seen something like this before and I never thought of using eggplant in an omelette. Delicious!

15. Angie says:

We make this in the Dominican Republic, we usually grill it wiht the skin on to give it a smoky taste then season it and add onions, tomatoes and garlic and finally eggs. Yummm!!!

1. January 28, 2013

[...] and their Calarami ng Tamad (PHP 235). Lastly, we also had their Talong Mo Kay Tulfo which is Tortang Talong that was named after a show Isumbong Mo Kay [...]

2. July 19, 2014