Lamb Ragout is a lamb dish slowly simmered in wine and tomato sauce infused with rosemary, thyme and sage. A very versatile stew where you can serve it either with rice, bread or pasta. Nothing much to say about the dish, I think it’s a fairly common stew dish everywhere apart from the Philippines. We never grew up with lamb meat, our main meat sources are beef, pork, chicken and sometimes goat hence our palates are not adjusted to its taste, I even only started eating lamb when I was in Malaysia and that’s barely a decade ago. Until now there are only few lamb dishes that we appreciate like anything grilled and curries other than that the taste is too “gamey” or “maanggo” for a non-trained Filipino palate. Those mentioned preparations masks the real flavour of lamb like the strong spices and marinade. Now I am in New Zealand, a place where the best lamb is available I will definitely have to try a different preparations apart from curry and grilling so for the first time I will make some stew out of it.
The verdict is that it is still gamey but not that much, the herbs and wine tried to mask the gamey flavour but still is present specially when it reaches its second day (leftovers). I think I have to add more wine and tomatoes, then reduce the sauce further on my next attempt. Do you have other suggestions for preparing lamb so it won’t taste as “gamey” as I want?
800g lamb shoulder chops, cubed
3 pcs bacon strips, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 1/2 cups green peas
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 tbsp chopped thyme
1 tbsp chopped sage
1 cup red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can tomatoes puree
2 cups water
freshly ground black
- In a heavy pan add oil then brown lamb in all sides. Once done remove the lamb then set it aside
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, rosemary, thyme, sage and bacon. Cook while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add wine to deglaze.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes puree, water, carrot and lamb. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. or until lamb is tender.
- Add the green peas then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.