Espasol

Espasol are cylindrical rice cakes that originated in the Philippine province of Laguna. Popularly sold on major thoroughfares, bus stops and specialty shops in Laguna, this rice cake is made out of toasted rice flour and coconut strips cooked in coconut milk then dusted with toasted rice flour.

Its relatively easy to make, nothing to technical about the cooking procedure, the only had part in preparing for this one is mixing it while it cooks which needs a bit of brawn to achieve. Try this one out if you haven’t made something like this before, it is good filling snack.

Espasol

• 3½ cups glutinous rice flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 cups coconut cream
  • 1½ cups young coconut strips
  • 1 stalk pandan, tied to a knot
  1. Heat a very large wok then add the glutinous rice flour, cook in medium heat until toasted (it should be light brown in colour) while continuously mixing. Turn heat off, set aside ½ cup of the toasted glutinous rice flour this will be used for dusting.
  2. In a separate large wok add coconut cream, sugar, coconut and pandan. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium.
  3. Remove pandan leaves from the coconut cream mixture then gently add the toasted rice flour, continue to mix in low heat until it becomes really thick, by 5 minutes it would resemble a dough, continue folding while cooking to cook evenly, do this process for around 30 minutes.
  4. Place in a greased surface and flatten cooked mixture. Let it cool down.
  5. Slice into long strips or if you want to be more authentic roll it by hand to form a cylindrical shape rice cake. Roll each piece in toasted glutinous rice flour.
  6. For best result consume it next day as it will firm up, newly cooked ones will be softer.

No Responses

1. Karen says:

I always enjoy the unusual recipes that you prepare…I know this wouldn’t be something I’d find in New England.

2. Tessa says:

Looks delicious! I think the only pandan that I can find locally is frozen. Will frozen pandan work?

One of these days I’m going to make it to the Philippines and spend several days just eating street food! This looks like another good one.

4. Michelle says:

I thought that savory rice cakes were the best thing since sliced bread. (Forgive the American idiom.) And now you show me that there is a sweet version? I can’t wait to try this.

5. Sounds delicious, must try this sometime, thanks.

Happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you and your family, x

6. Sammie says:

ooohh yummy rice cakes Raymund! They really remind me of some Indonesian cookies called “putri salju”! :) Ang sarap indeed! Happy New Year to you and your family too!

7. Henry says:

I miss espasol, I usually buy this when we are going to a long trip on a bus. Happy New Year Raymund!

8. wok with ray says:

Aside from pastillas, this is one of my favorite pasalubong (coming home gift) from my aunts for Christmas or New Year. Happy New Year to you and your family, Raymund. More success to you on the coming year, my friend! :)

I love these :) And this is why I love Filipino snacks – not hard to make and so delicious! Happy New Year!

10. Ang sarap talaga!!! :) Yun lang pala laman ng espasol hehehe..kala ko may lihiya pa, etc…thanks for sharing this..gusto ko siya itry soon!!! :D

11. joann says:

i can’t find this kind of merienda sa palengke, makapagluto nga para maiba naman. salamat po ng marami. =)