Rellenong Manok is a festive Filipino festive dish which is basically a roasted stuffed chicken but something is special here, it is boneless. Yes you’ve read it right it is boneless but only in the cavity, wings and legs still have its bones in tact. Now you might ask why the chicken still looks intact? Well because it’s full of stuffing and the way it was deboned which is a painstaking process. There are two methods one is by cutting the chicken in the breast side, removing the bones and sewing them back together another would be removing the bones by hands carefully from the cavity without cutting the chicken, I used the second method. It was hard but you will feel accomplished if you’ve done it the right way.
The stuffing also is not similar to the stuffing used in roast chicken as this is meant to be consumed with rice hence it if filled with minced meats, bread crumbs, chorizo, egg, chorizo, carrots, green peas, pickles and other spices. Think of it as meatloaf or embutido stuffed roasted boneless chicken, it’s the best of both recipes.
A very good dish to serve during the New Year hence we are also sharing this recipe in World in a Plate monthly potluck.
For other Auspicious New Year dishes please see other recipes in the link below.
1 large whole chicken, deboned
400g minced pork
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup green peas
3 pcs chorizo, finely chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
4 stalks spring onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp pickle relish
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Season chicken inside and out with salt and freshly ground black pepper, set aside in room temperature for 2 hrs.
2. Mix remaining ingredients except for the hard boiled eggs, lemon and butter in a bowl.
3. Put stuffing into the cavity placing hard boiled eggs in the centre. Pull the excess skin in the cavity and secure filling with excess skin,
4. Place chicken in roasting rack then roast in a 180C preheated oven for 1hr and 35 minutes. Mix butter and lemon together then baste chicken with mixture once every 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, set it aside for at least 15 minutes prior to slicing and serving.