Honey Walnut Prawns

Honey Walnut Prawns or Honey Walnut Shrimps is a Chinese-American dish that is made out of deep fried lightly breaded prawns with candied walnuts served in a creamy style mayonnaise sauce. Usually seen in Chinese restaurants menus as one of the most expensive seafood options due to its ingredients and the process in making candied walnuts. The first time I saw this dish was in Hong Kong and when I asked what’s in it I was a bit surprised as the ingredients seems to be odd for me, it contains a lot of sweet things usually used for dessert, mayonnaise and it is consumed with rice. Very odd combination but you have to trust me as it really works.

Ingredients (Deep Fried Prawns)

400g prawns, peeled and deveined
2 egg whites
1/2 cup cornstarch
salt
oil

Ingredients (Candied Walnuts)

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Ingredients (Sweet Mayonnaise Sauce)

4 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp condensed milk
1 tbsp lemon juice

Method (Deep Fried Prawns)

1. Heat up a wok filled with oil enough for deep frying.
  2. Pat dry the prawns with paper towels, place in a bowl together with egg white and salt.
  3. Place corn flour in a container with cover then place prawns one at a time, close the container and shake to coat prawns inside.
  4. Deep fry prawns one at a time for around 30 to 40 seconds, remove from wok then place on paper towel lined plate to remove excess fat. Set aside.

Method (Candied Walnuts)

1. Rinse walnuts with water, drain and set aside.
  2. Place sugar and water in a saucepan then bring it to a boil; simmer until liquid is reduced to a thick consistency. Stir occasionally to avoid burning the sugar.
  3. Add the walnuts and continue to boil while constantly mixing for around 3 minutes.
  4. remove the walnuts then place in a wax paper to dry and harden.

Ingredients (Sweet Mayonnaise Sauce)

1. In a bowl mix together mayonnaise, honey, condensed milk and lemon juice.
  2. Add the deep fried prawns and toss to coat evenly with the mayonnaise sauce
  3. Place coated prawns in a serving plate together with the candied walnuts then serve.

No Responses

1. Reblogged this on the.Light of my Eye and commented:
    Will try this one of these days. Looks appealing! Yummmm!

2. Geni says:

I love honey walnut shrimp. The ingredients are surprising. Your dish looks perfect and I always trust your food opinions and recipes Raymund.

3. I voted and it was my pleasure to do so! Like the texture the walnuts bring to this dish.

I have no doubt that this works. There is a Chinese sushi place nearby that serves a maki roll with these ingredients. They also add strawberry and avocado. So I have no doubt that this would be delicious!

5. Tiffany F. says:

This is one of my favorite dishes. I made it once with a slightly different recipe. Yum indeed =)

6. Shirley says:

I love this dish! It sounds weird, but it’s so good.

7. reiterwhite says:

voted for you! congrats! this recipe looks time intensive but so so delicious!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I just voted! Good luck Raymund!! I didn’t know any other bloggers and I wish you will win this! :) This is my kids’ favorite… never new condense milk is in the sauce!!

9. Dear Raymund,

I’ve never cooked prawns with walnut as this is the first time I’ve heard of this dish. I think I would still prefer the old Sichuan style with cashews and dried chillies :)

Happy new year to you and your family!

10. Michelle says:

I have had this dish before in restaurants—such a strange combination, and yet so delicious!

11. You have my vote! I can finally get on to read your recipes and this looks great. Take care, BAM

candied walnuts.. wow… that sounds sexy… hihi

13. Karen says:

I have never seen this at the Chinese restaurants in our area but it sounds great.

14. Anything you recommend is going to be good! I agree some of the flavors sound a bit odd, but this will be fun to try. Thanks!

Lol this dish is one of my guilty secrets :) I love it even though it’s not very healthy – yours looks delicious!

16. CuredByBacon says:

Made these the other night! one of my guilty pleasures no doubt! Looks like a fantastic recipe for it!

Cheers!!

17. Cantonese food at its finest! I’m often asked why I don’t make these kind of dishes at home (by my sweetheart) I just cook more (western style) meals I guess (because we always ate Chinese food as little kids!)

Thank you for reminding me of my favourite dishes and I can say that I’m inspired to tackle those recipes again!

18. sheong0903 says: