What I like with Chinese vegetable dishes is that whether it’s as complicated as Lo Han Chai or as simple as Kailan in Oyster Sauce and Bok Choy in Oyster Sauce you can be rest assured that they would taste really good. Like this simple dish of stir fried long beans, it looks simple but it’s good enough to be a meal on its own.
1 bunch long beans, sliced
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 tbsp chicken stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp peanut oil
toasted sesame seeds
freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare a pot of boiling water then blanch long beans. Drain then rinse in running cold water (this maintains its green colour)
2. In a wok add peanut oil then sauté garlic, ginger and shallots.
3. Bring heat to high then add long beans and cayenne, stir fry for a minute.
4. Add chicken stock, soy sauce, honey and sesame oil. Simmer in high heat until sauce is reduced and thick.
5. Season with freshly ground black pepper, place in a plate then top with toasted sesame seeds.