This is one of my many free style recipes and like most of my free style I discovered it by just combining any ingredients that are available to me during that time and following no recipes at all, since then it became a normal fare on our family menu and I feel like it’s worth sharing to everyone these dishes.
This dish is a simple pasta recipe where you just pan grill the vegetables and chicken, add it into a creamy tomato sauce together with herbs that complement the ingredients such as basil for tomatoes and tarragon for chicken, toss it in your pasta then PRESTO, your dish is ready! With this dish I always used the thicker pasta variants as it holds the sauce well so Fusilli, Spiralli and Penne would be my first choice.
Now can you give it a try and let me know how it worked for you.
400g chicken breast, deboned and cubed
2 courgettes, thinly sliced
2 large yellow capsicums, sliced
2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup full cream
4 tbsp tomato paste
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small shallots, chopped
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp rubbed basil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes in freshly ground black pepper, salt, paprika and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- In a pot boil water and cook spiralli according on the packet instructions. Once cooked place in colander to drain.
- Prepare and heat up a pan grill then place courgettes, mushrooms and capsicum, turning only once when burn marks are visible, set aside.
- Now place the chicken pieces in the same pan grill, set aside.
- Now in a heavy pan add remaining olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Now place the flour in the pan and mix it well until it forms a roux. Once evenly mixed add chicken stock, chicken, white wine, tomato paste and sugar. Simmer until sauce is thick.
- Add grilled vegetables then simmer for a minute.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then pour on top of cooked pasta.