Bukayo

Bukayo is a sweet Filipino dessert / snack that originated from Lingayen, it is made by simmering coconut strips in a mixture of coconut water and sugar until liquid is heavily reduced, mixture is then formed into balls or flat circles and left to harden to a chewy consistency.

I have to warn you this is a very sweet desert and definitely a passport in having diabetes in the future if you consume this on a regular basis. For this recipe I had heavily reduced the sugar content to half so it’s only half bad which results to a more softer candy, I also used cornstarch to help in firming up the candy.

3 young coconuts
2 1/2 cups tightly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 knot pandan leaves
oil

1. Cut young coconuts in half, reserve the water.
  2. Grate the coconut meat then set aside.
  3. Add small amount of oil in a wok then cook coconut strips until it turns slightly brown. Turn heat of then set aside.
  4. Boil together 1 cup coconut water and brown sugar until it’s heavily reduced into a thick consistency.
  5. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup of coconut water, set it aside
  6. Place the wok with coconut strips back to the stove in medium heat.
  7. Pour the sugar syrup and dissolved cornstarch then cook further until it becomes even thicker. You should be finished if you mixture can hold a firm shape.
  8. Turn heat to low then scoop out a spoonful of the mixture, shape it into a circle then place on top of a wax paper, do it with the remaining mixture then let it cool down to harden.

No Responses

Oh wow, this does sound sweet. My daughter would LOVE it!

2. wok with ray says:

This belongs to one of the memory lanes. I love eating bukayo when i was a little boy that it didn’t matter that it broke my tooth. I kept eating because it’s soooo good. :)

3. Wow, the original recipe called for 5 cups of brown sugar?

4. Wow. I love coconut so this looks amazing. Something I definitely want to try, although it does look sweet. Even though you’ve lightened it up!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I was talking to a friend who recently went to the Philippines and she said a lot of food here is very sweet. I thought it’s interesting that you mentioned original recipe was even sweeter. Very coconuty flavor. :)

I’ve never seen these before. They look like the kind of treat that I love!

7. I love coconut and these chewy morsels are sure to be a hit in this household. Something which strikes me as fantastic (regarding this recipe) is how surely it highlights that key ingredient and accentuates all the lovely flavours & textures.

Definitely a winner!

8. ooh the desserts always interest me!

I like the reduction of the sugar here. That’s usually my problem with this dessert – I can nibble on one but after that it’s like sugar shock.

10. Llane says:

I love bukayo since I was a little girl. My mother used to cooked this. The young coconut with sugar syrup hmmmmmm very yummy.

11. rj says:

bukayo or known as conserba in our provence. it cost 1 peso each, so cheap yet so yummy!!!!

12. Ghostvixen says:

My Step mother makes these in the Philippines and my father just flew over for a visit with a box full of them for me, I had one, supper sweet, but wow it was really good. Of course my stepmother is an amazing cook to begin with so I should not have been surprised these were awesome.

13. lani says:

where can we buy this bukayos in manila?????……help!!!!!!

14. angelgirlpj says:

I don’t think they have coconuts here. I’ve seen coconut milk and oil.
    Can you use prepacked shredded kind? I was asked to write an article for Seekyt, however, I didn’t know what it was and had to research it.