When there’s a magazine lying around in any waiting lounges the first one I would pick would be something related to food (car magazines go next) and I usually try to remember recipes I like and cook it at home the earliest available time. Like this Baked Aubergine and Chickpeas I saw this recipe in a Magazine when we are waiting in a lounge of a clinic here in Auckland. It definitely looks easy, nutritious and definitely good
3 pcs medium sized aubergines, sliced lengthwise
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp rubbed basil
juice from 1 lemon juice
flat leaf parsley, for garnishing
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1. Lightly grease a grill then cook your eggplants for 3-4 minutes on each side, once done set aside.
2. In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, basil and lemon juice; simmer in medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Place half of the aubergines into a casserole then pour half of the sauce over the top, layer the remaining aubergines then pour the remaining sauce on top.
6. Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from oven then garnish with chopped parsley and pomegranate.
Tip: For the pomegranate, to remove the seeds easily cut them in half then tap the outer skin with the back of the spoon until all seeds fall off.