Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich

This morning this was my breakfast and while I was doing it I suddenly realized this sandwich looks good for a simple egg sandwich and deserves a photo opportunity, don’t you agree?

Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich is one of the popular picnic items or baon (lunch box) meals in the Philippines; I don’t even remember a Family outing that we had where we never brought one of this. Apart from tasting really good, it is cheap and really easy to make. I tried to research online to see where this dish originated but I can’t find any trusted resource so we will just talk about mayonnaise which is one of this dish’s main ingredients.

Mayonnaise basically an emulsion of oil, egg yolk and vinegar/lemon juice with different herbs and spices. It originated in Spain, Mahon in Menorca to be precise. It was by a chef that served under the Duc de Richelieu in 1756. Again like any other popular dishes this was a result of a need when one day the chef has to prepare festive dishes to celebrate Duc’s victory over British troops at Port Mahon. He planned for a particular dish where cream and eggs are to be used but found out that his supply of cream was finished, so instead of cream he tried using olive oil instead resulting to this concoction that we know now. Initially called “salsa mahonesa” or simply “maonesa” from the name of the place Mahon. It became popular and it reached France, the French popularized it further and the rest was history.

Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich

• 4 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 5 heaping tbsp mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp pickle relish
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • fancy lettuce leaves
  • sandwich bread
  1. In a bowl, mix together chopped egg, mayonnaise, pickle relish, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Place lettuce on bread then top with egg mixture then top it with bread. Serve.

No Responses

1. elizz says:

my easy all time favorite sandwich.

2. I love egg may sandwiches. Think I will make one for my lunch.
    :-) Mandy

3. A great photo opportunity!

4. peasepudding says:

This was always my favourite sandwich as a kid, in England though we added mustard and cress instead of lettuce, yum

5. nors says:

Pang columbus yan pre ha…..

6. Interesting story of how this sandwich came to be, I had always assumed it was an English thing LOL as I grew up on these.

What exactly is Pickle Relish?

7. Egg salad sandwiches were so common when I was growing up — fried egg sandwiches too. Haven’t had one in a long time, thanks for the memories. :)

8. Food Forays says:

Egg salad sandwiches are popular in Canada too! MMM Judy, I had a fried egg sandwich yesterday for lunch! I think eggs are very nearly a perfect food….LOL

Great photo, and great sandwich!

9. Michelle says:

It’s pretty popular here too, but people often add chopped celery instead of the relish. It makes it crunchy

10. wok with ray says:

Really looking good for a simple sandwich. Perfect for picnic or just plain baon (brown bag food) to school. Have a good week, Raymund! :)

I had no idea mayo was of Spanish origin. Wouldn’t have guessed it either. Great looking breakfast you had this morning, and this would be perfect in a picnic basket. :)

12. Shirley says:

We call them egg salad sandwiches in the US, they’re a favorite of mine too. I like the inclusion of pickle relish!

13. Eha says:

Ha! There I may be most peculiar!! I have made what I call ‘egg pate’ for morning sandwiches just forever. Except I don’t include pickle, but use plain yogurt a a base and a mild but fully bodied curry powder to flavour! Takes about two minutes the night before and sure wakes you up with a smile with your coffee the next morning!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I’m using Japanese mayo for this. Looks fantastic. I love egg + mayo combo. It makes sandwich tastes so better!

15. thammelissa says:

A handy, quick and healthy sandwich which I would love to have for breakfast!

The name of this sandwich took me back to my childhood! My mama use to make these, or something similar for lunch. I haven’t had one since I was in high school! Now I’m craving one! Thanks!!!!! It looks perfect!

I love egg salad :) Eggs are perfect for anytime imho, Looks delish and makes me wish I had one now!

18. Ahhh, a childhood favorite that I’ve never grown tired of eating. :)

19. Definitely a photo worthy op and always one of my favourite sandwich fillings too. Love that bit of history too, neccesity really is the mother of invention!

20. SAW45 says:

I love egg salad sandwiches. I add some finely chopped celery for the crunch, some sweet pickle relish for flavor, a bit of mustard and a sprinkle of both black or white pepper and sugar. If I have it, I’ll add some chopped shrimp to it. YUMMM!

21. missybellz says:

Oh this egg salad sandwich brings back a lot of growing up memories :) Will have to make some soon. Would probably try to add some pineapple tidbits and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing.