Patatim

Patatim is a Filipino-Chinese dish which is made out of slowly braised pork leg cooked similar to Paksiw but without the vinegar. This dish is very popular in Authentic Chinese food establishments in the Philippines such as the restaurants and even hawker stalls in Binondo. Traditionally it is cooked with dried shitake mushrooms and served over blanched vegetables such as broccoli or bok choy, but the non-Filipino-Chinese version uses banana blossoms and cardaba bananas instead.

I had seen this dish across South East Asia, I don’t know the local names of each but they were cooked similarly and just differ in the accompanying ingredients and thickness of soup / sauce. A very good dish that can be paired with rice or Chinese curlers, it has a very flavourful meat due to the length of the braising time, a sauce with a texture like melted gelatine and the contrasts of sweet and saltiness flavours.

2 pcs small pork legs, cut into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces
4 pcs cardaba bananas, sliced
1 cup banana blossoms
3/4 cup soy sauce
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 1/2 cups pork stock
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
fish sauce (adjust the amount according to your liking)
2 pcs star anise
4 pcs bay leaves
2 tsp peppercorn
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 whole garlic, minced
peanut oil

1. In a pot, brown garlic in peanut oil.
  2. Add pork leg and brown on all sides.
  3. Now add all of the remaining ingredients, apart from the banana blossoms and plantain bananas.
  4. Bring to a boil and slowly simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
  5. Add the banana blossoms then simmer for additional 15 minutes.
  6. Add the plantain bananas then simmer for additional 15 minutes.

1. Tessa says:

Sounds delicious! Banana blossoms are new to me. Are they fresh or dried?

I bet this is fall-off-the-bone kind of meat. It has to be delicious!

3. nors says:

Sarap nyan terno ng ampapata con carne. Paborito ng tatay ni lea yan.

Yummy! I wish I could get cardaba bananas here :( I always miss out on eating dinners like this.

5. jlaceda says:

I’m Filipino-Chinese, and I married a Filipino guy. Both sides of the family cook patatim! I love this “gelatinous” and unctuous dish. Is this the same as “hong ba”? Ummm…I miss this dish. Have to learn to cook it properly for myself.

6. Sheila Marie Lee says:

I tried this for dinner tonight, it was sooo good! thank you!

7. grabe picture plang
    sobrang sarap!!! putok batok nga lang kaya pigil kumain…^^,

8. ayee anza says:

I love this dish :) -I just cooked this for tonight’s dinner :)

9. joederlyn says:

LIKE I SAID FVOR8 YAN NG EX KO. HAHAHAHA

1. August 1, 2013

[…] juice base infused with lots of garlic. It might look similar to another Filipino dish called Patatim but this dish have a hint of freshness and tang due to the use of pineapple juice in the simmering […]

2. June 12, 2014

[…] and vinegar gravy mixed with bananas and carrots, its taste is nearly a cross between Adobo and Patatim. Though the name might sound Spanish this is a Filipino dish that was just given a Spanish name and […]